Jambands.ca

Helix 30 Year Anniversay Show Announced!

DevO

From Planet Helix...

30TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY JULY 17TH, 2004

The 30th Anniversary Show is now booked for July 17th, 2004. It will take place at The Sanderson Centre in Brantford, Ontario, a 1,130 soft-seat licensed hall. Check out www.sandersoncentre.on.ca. Tickets will not be available for at least a week. I say this because already someone phoned from Manitoba looking to buy tickets. There will only be 1,000 tickets for sale, so make sure to get yours way in advance. Tickets will be for sale on the website, from the Sanderson Center website, and from me personally.

We will be approaching local hotels about getting a group rate to help accommodate any fans from out-of-town, and we are looking at the possibility of setting up a shuttle service of some sort to get people back and forth without having to drive themselves. We are hoping that because we have set a date so far ahead of time that fans will be able to plan their holidays around this gig. To all our American fans-Ontario is a beautiful place to visit in the middle of July!

The show will begin with a display of memorabelia; pictures spanning the band’s career, t-shirts, rare Helix records, etc. This will be set up prior to the show in the front lobby along with the merchandise booth. If you’d like to leaf through my personal photo albums and other shit I’ve collected over the years, here’s your chance. We will have special "Anniversary" shirts for sale that night and hopefully the 30th Anniversary CD.

The actual show will be in three parts: The first part of the show will be a 45 minute acoustic set, the second part a 50 minute Helix history video, and the last part will feature songs beginning with The Breaking Loose CD and running right up to the present. For this part of the show former members will appear onstage to play. So far the following people have committed to appear:

Bruce Arnold: Original drummer and founder of the band.

Keith (Bert) Zurbrigg: Original bass player

Brian Doerner: Drummer on Breaking Loose album.

Brent Doerner: Known as "The Doc", Brent played on all Helix albums up until Back for Another Taste.

Leo Niebodek: Drummer on the White Lace and Black Leather album

Greg (Fritz) Hinz: Drummer on all the Capitol albums.

I have also contacted Don Simmons (original keyboardist) and hopefully he will get back to me shortly. This show will be a huge undertaking, but I feel very up for the challenge. We’ve already had kind offers from original soundman Ken Heague to come back and help out, as well as former lightman George Hinz. note: This week's update photos are courtesy of Carol Heague. The first is of Brent, Paul, and Bert playing at the old Coronet. The second shot(s) show are rather unique stagewear from that period: I'm the winged crusader, Paul is "bunny-man", and and Brent is pants-suit man. The third shot(s) are of Dale the Pale (our old lightman), Brent and Brian Doerner, and Fritz and Ken.

-

quote:

Give me an R-O-C-K

Whatcha got (ROCK)

And whatcha gonna do (ROCK YOU)

Gimme an R-O-C-K

Whatcha got (ROCK)

And whatcha gonna do (ROCK YOU)

I seen this guys on top of Jackson square(a downtown mall) in Hamilton early eightys.Who would have thunk it.

Hopefully! I've been a big Helix fan since day one. My bro (10 years older than me) was a Helix mega fan so I grew up listening to this shit! So many times when I was around grade 1,2,3,4,5, I remember my brother taking off to a Helix show and I'd be sooo jealous! hehe. I finally saw them a few years ago at Brian Timmis Stadium when they played a pre-game party for the TiCats/Argos Labour Day Classic. They still rock. With any luck I'll be in Brantford in July!

Helix has been around since 1974?!?!? [Eek!]

My first memory of actually buying a "name act" concert ticket was for Helix at Hamilton Place when I was in, like, Grade 5 or 6 (!). The concert was eventually cancelled, crushing my dreams.

"If you’d like to leaf through my personal photo albums and other shit I’ve collected over the years, here’s your chance."

[big Grin] I like that one..... heh heh.... classy! You going, KevO??

Archived