Jambands.ca

JOE NIEUWENDYK TO BE NAMED DALLAS STARS NEW GM TOMORROW

Kanada Kev

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280497

nieubig_57411.jpg

A shakeup is coming in the Dallas Stars' front office.

Joe Nieuwendyk will officially be named as the Stars' general manager on Monday afternoon, team owner Tom Hicks announced on Sunday.

The 42-year-old Nieuwendyk returns to the city of Dallas from the Toronto Maple Leafs' organization, where he had been serving as Special Assistant to the General Manager.

"I am very excited about returning to the Dallas Stars as General Manager," said Nieuwendyk. "I am ready for this opportunity. The Dallas Stars have built a winning tradition over the years and I want to help continue that legacy. My family is very excited about returning to Dallas. I have great memories from my playing days with the Stars and look forward to helping this team win as General Manager."

As part of the reshuffling process, co-GMs Brett Hull and Les Jackson have both been reassigned within the organization. Hull will be moving to the roles of Executive Vice President and Alternative Governor, while Jackson is returning to his role as Director of Scouting and Player Development. Hicks said it was in the team's best interest to return the pair to their "respective strengths".

The Stars will hold a press conference on Monday at American Airlines Arena to formally introduce Nieuwendyk as GM.

"We are very excited to secure Joe Nieuwendyk as the General Manager," said Hicks. "These moves are all about helping this club take the proverbial 'next step.' Joe is a leader and has been a winner in everything he has done. He is ready for this opportunity and has a bright future as an NHL General Manager. We want that future to be with the Dallas Stars."

Niewendyk has become familiar with management roles recently. Prior to spending last season with the Leafs' club, he worked as a Special Consultant to the GM with the Florida Panthers and as Assistant GM with the silver medal-winning Canadian team at the 2009 IIHF World Hockey Championship.

The Ontario native is no stranger to success on the ice, either, having played 20 seasons in the NHL, including seven with Dallas (1995-2002). He also had successful stints with the Calgary Flames, New Jersey Devils, Toronto Maple Leafs and Florida Panthers.

Leafs president and GM Brian Burke had nothing but kind words for the team's now-former employee Nieuwendyk, saying, "we are very happy for Joe, and grateful for the fine work he performed for the Leafs."

The Stars are no doubt hoping that Nieuwendyk will bring his winning touch back to a Dallas franchise that struggled in 2008-09, going 36-35-11 and finishing 12th in the Western Conference, eight points out of a playoff position.

Nieuwendyk won a Stanley Cup with the Stars as a player in 1999 (along with Hull) and claimed the Conn Smythe Trophy following those playoffs, having led the team in scoring - it was the last time Dallas claimed the big prize. Nieuwendyk also won the Cup as a member of the Flames (1989) and the Devils (2003).

In 1,257 career regular season games, the 6'2, 209-pound forward amassed 564 goals and 562 assists for 1,126 points. His playoff career was also extremely productive, as he put up 66 goals and 50 assists in 158 career postseason matches.

Nieuwendyk also earned international accolades as a member of the gold medal-winning Canadian Olympic hockey team at Salt Lake City in 2002.

He takes over for Hull and Jackson, who were named the Stars' interim co-GMs on November 13, 2007, having the interim tag removed in May of 2008. Under that twosome, the Stars had a regular season record of 74-58-15, with one trip to the Western Conference finals in 2008.

Edited by Guest