Jambands.ca

BC's "New" Drunk Driving Laws

StoneMtn

Some of you are from BC, some of you have just heard about this, and some of you may be interested because if it happens here first, it's just a matter of time until it happens elsewhere.

BC has enacted amendments to its drunk driving laws, to make them tougher. Normally, this is probably a laudable thing, but in this case there are good arguments that we've just granted vast power to non-elected, non-court-related police officers, basing their decision on unreliable technology.

If you're interested, here's a good article on it, which makes this comprehensible even to me:

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/article/20100929/WHISTLER14/309299948/new-drunk-driving-laws-just-the-old-ones-on-steroids

As long as infrastructure/relief is put into place to remove the stupid excuses people make to drive drunk (can't afford a taxi, there's no other way home etc.), toughening drunk driving laws are only there to punish offenders and grab at their wallets.

And while people should not be driving impaired, I don't see a push to make taxi fares tax-deductable and public transit/shuttle bus services available in rural areas and smaller cities with limited mass transit.

We need help to break our bad habits, not more damnation when we do.

I am sick of looking forward to a time when we'll have figured this all out because we should have done it by now.