Jambands.ca

March 31, 2011

rubberdinghy

ATU 279's contract with the City of Ottawa is up.

So far, under somewhat better circumstances, negotiations has recently begun (this week, normally negotations don't start for six months after the contract is up).

With a new Mayor and a newer City Council, the hopes are that these negotiations will be less harsh than they were in 2008/2009 resulting in the 53 day strike.

Since negotiations have started you'll be sure to read things in the newspaper over the next few months.

I just wanted you all to know a few things.

1. Watson is apparently willing to work with us, but we have to realize their isn't a bottomless pit of money.

2. The ATU president of the past strike (Cornellier) is extremely ill, and will most likely not be taking part in these negotiations. On an interim basis the VP will be taking over. (Mike Aldrich) Some of us feel he's not the right man for the job especially after he brought us to vote on an scheduling ammendment a couple of months ago that wasn't necessarily in our favour. The ATU unanimously voted it down.

3. Scheduling will most likely be the major sticking point. Here's a good blog that explains where we were coming from 3 years ago.

Linkypoo

4. Alot of drivers lost quite a bit of money, went into serious debt and even in a few cases, lost thier houses. Trust me, nobody wants to strike again.

Anyways...just wanted to let you all know this was coming up again and obviously affects me quite abit.

Any questions, feel free to ask!!!