Jambands.ca

Lest We Forget

phishtaper

My great grandfathers both served and died in WWI and my grandfathers both served during WWII. One never made it home. My great grandfather on my Mom's side is buried in France and in 1997 while I was on a month long backpacking journey through Europe I was able to visit his grave on Nov. 11th and place a wreath at his stone for my Mom and Grandmother - they always wanted to do it themselves but never got/had the chance.

My little brother currently serves in the QRAF Scotland, UK and thankfully has returned from 4 trips to Afghanistan, and 3 to Iraq. It scares the shit out of me, but I'm proud as hell.

Thank you, to those who serve, and those who have served, and especially those fallen while in service.

flandersfield.png

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

...We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders Fields.

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

Canadian Army

I always think of my Grandfather who was at Vimy Ridge all those years ago....Paschendaelle too...he was gassed and shot and survived it all. Not many came back from the meat grinder that was WW1 but he made it. A sniper's bullet struck his arm directly in front of his heart as he was reaching for amno-an amno change that saved his life.

God's speed Grandpa-we remember!

.....on a related note I can't believe my grandfather fought in a war almost a hundred years ago.....wow!