Jambands.ca

Last minute flights to London anyone?

Velvet

McCartney to play tiny, endangered 100 Club

Paul McCartney is the latest rock star to take the stage at London's 100 Club, the small but venerable live music venue threatened with closure.

The former Beatle announced Tuesday that he would play a "stripped down" lunchtime gig at the intimate club — which has a capacity of about 300 people — on Friday. It will be his smallest gig since 1999, when he played the Cavern Club in his hometown of Liverpool.

"I love performing, and I love connecting with audiences, be it in a stadium or arena or in a club," McCartney said in a statement.

"I'm looking forward to being able to interact with fans on a face-to-face basis, not to mention the smell of sweat and beer."

In September, 100 Club owner Jeff Horton announced that the venue — located on London's prominent Oxford Street — would be forced to close at year's end because the rent has shot higher in recent months.

The venue, open since 1942 and billed as the oldest live music venue in London, has a storied past hosting a variety of musical genres — spanning jazz to punk — and a wide range of artists, including Glenn Miller, Louis Armstrong, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, the Sex Pistols, The Clash, Fela Kuti, Youssou N'Dour, Oasis, The White Stripes and Muse.

Musicians and fans have united for a campaign to save the central London club, asking for donations to help raise £500,000 (about $794,000 Cdn) to secure the venue financially and make an appeal to the government for heritage status.

McCartney's appearance follows a visit from Rolling Stones guitarist and bassist Ron Wood for a 100 Club benefit concert earlier this month.

Other notable supporters of the club include "new blues" guitarist Stephen Dale Petit, Steve Diggle of the Buzzcocks, rocker Liam Gallagher, Mick Jagger, Frank Black of The Pixies and Brian Travers of UB40.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010/12/14/100-club-mccartney-closure.html#socialcomments#ixzz18CKVTnGp