Jambands.ca

I've finally given up on the NCC.

SaggyBalls

I thought that the NCC demanded a higher caliber of employee (considering the costs and perceived pedigree of office) than is obviously working there lately...

"Have you noticed the iconic Canadian Muskoka chairs in downtown Ottawa?"

myCapital

Since the 'Muskoka' chair is nothing more than a Canadianized term for the quite American Adirondack chair, one should expect that this wouldn't be lost on the NCC.

I like sitting in Adirondack chairs and have always called them that and somehow from a young age knew they were called that. Should I expect everyone to know? Maybe not, but before calling something 'íconically Canadian' they should at least double check.

"The NCC believes that the Capital should also be a living place that shows the way Canadians enjoy life."

Yeah...we like to sit in comfortable chairs. Iconically Canadian? Nope.

Does the NCC still ask for donations for the Rideau Canal Skateway while raking in $millions in annual income from property leases?

What a waste.

Actually they were originally called 'Westport chairs' named after Wesport, New York where it was patented. It was only later called the Adirondack chair in honor of the mountains, where there was a convalescent home/retreat where T.B patients went to recover, after that they were called Adirondack chairs due to the popularity and comfort. There is some slight differences between the two though, the American version has a flat yolk, where the Canadian has a curved, the span between the arms is smaller in the Canadian version, as well they are lower to the ground. The things you learn having cabinet and furniture maker friends.

I actually grew up with hearing them called "West Ports", but anytime I've called them that no one ever knew what I was talking about or figured I was referring to cigarettes. So Muskoka/Adirondack it is. Regardless, Muskoka, Laurentian or Adirondack chair, it's all pretty much the same anyway, only localized. Since my spinal surgeries though, I find them very uncomfortable and avoid them like the plague.

Actually they were originally called 'Westport chairs' named after Wesport, New York where it was patented. It was only later called the Adirondack chair in honor of the mountains, where there was a convalescent home/retreat where T.B patients went to recover, after that they were called Adirondack chairs due to the popularity and comfort. There is some slight differences between the two though, the American version has a flat yolk, where the Canadian has a curved, the span between the arms is smaller in the Canadian version, as well they are lower to the ground. The things you learn having cabinet and furniture maker friends.

I actually grew up with hearing them called "West Ports", but anytime I've called them that no one ever knew what I was talking about or figured I was referring to cigarettes. So Muskoka/Adirondack it is. Regardless, Muskoka, Laurentian or Adirondack chair, it's all pretty much the same anyway, only localized. Since my spinal surgeries though, I find them very uncomfortable and avoid them like the plague.

Interesting stuff, Esau, thanks. Westport is, in fact, in the Adirondacks, although the two names certainly aren't interchangeable, and I had no idea that was the original name.

As for the tuberculosis healing, there were numerous "cure cottages," as they were called, all over the Adirondacks. Many of them still stand today, and are identifiable by their wrap-around porches on two levels, which existed so that patients could be outside in the fresh air 24/7. I actually owe my existence to the cure cottage industry, as my great-grandmother went to the Adirondacks from NYC when she suffered from TB, and it was there she met my great-grandfather (who was already living there, but wasn't a cure cottage patient). They got married, stayed in the area and eventually they had my (maternal) grandfather, who has lived in Lake Placid his whole life and turned 95 last week. :content: