Jambands.ca

CD track tags?

SaggyBalls

When I play a disc in some CD players it tells me the track names and artist information but when I rip a disc I need to query an online database?

This strange question has both bewildered me and left me pissy on more than one occasion and I was hoping that someone could help me with a couple of other questions:

1. What is the name of the type of tag that gets digitally imprinted as track info?

2. Which media player reads that instead of an online query (or can be set to do so if the CDDB fails)?

Thanks in advance (I'm sure this is annoying beyond all get out for other people as well), as this kind of peeve makes me feel like a lunatic.

What's a cee-dee?

It is called CD-TEXT and wikipedia has some software information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

I was obsessive about ensuring the text was written back when I used to burn audio CDs!

EDIT: A lot of software did not have text support because it relied on the drive also supporting it, and it was not a standard feature. THe case may still be the same now. It's probably universally supported on hardware now but I remember having to read drive specs very carefully to ensure any burner I bought would write text..

Edited by Guest