Jambands.ca

Afghan Photo Update

AD

Hey everyone...

I'm out of Kabul now and over in western Afghanistan in Herat... 2 hour drive (by Canadian standards) to Iran and Turkmenistan...

I've added way too many pictures to my photo album, but if you want to go through them please be my guest. There's some really good ones......

Click this link to see my pics!

Cheers

Alan

PS. The bad news is it don't look like I'll be home for Xmas...... [Frown] But I'll be home for New Year's [big Grin]

Guest Low Roller

Wow! These pictures are awesome. Herat looks like an absolutely awesome city.

What are you doing in Afganistan again? Surveying for the UN or something like that?

The company I work for (Mosaic Mapping) has a contract with Louis Berger Group Inc (NJ-based megacompany) to map Afghanistan's Highway 1 from Kandahar to Herat. I added a map to the 'Working' photo album to show... Louis Berger is in charge of the REFS project here (Rehabilitation of Economic Facilities and Services), with all the funding coming from USAID. Berger is building 95% of the schools, clinics, building a power grid, re-designing and building roads, health clinics, irrigation, dams, etc... They're a good company. A large part of the program is training Afghans to do all this stuff on their own so they can be self-sufficient. Right now the vast majority people have nothing except poppies for opium. But some like it that way so Berger / USAID has to be careful here... It will all work out.

Highway 1 from Kabul to Kandahar will be complete in 12 days, a HUGE milestone for this country!

Alan

Sweet pics. That mosque in Herat is stunning, and huge...That picture of the kid with the gun in his mouth is depressing, but I guess that whole country is awash in weapons.

I had never heard of that Louis Berger Group before...sounds like they've got tons of stuff to look after.

Enjoy the rest of the trip!

Archived