Jambands.ca

Klezmer Jamband

Beyond the Pale

Hi all, I'm new here so excuse any violations of message board etiquette [smile]

I play mandolin in a great Toronto-based band called BEYOND THE PALE. We play a mix of klezmer, east European folk and original music. Having grown up on the Dead, Allmans, Feat, Phish, Grisman, Bela, etc, the jam aesthetic is a huge part of my musical consciousness, and my band's. The music we make in Beyond the Pale is really great stuff, which I'm sure would appeal to JamHeads. It's actually been a puzzle to me why klezmer and east European folk music hasn't caught on more in the Jam scene. I was drawn to this kind of music 5 years ago by the same qualities that drew me to my Jam Idols listed above: great rhythms, danceable grooves, hot licks, cool improvisations, and that certain transcendant, transportive quality that we all know so well as the key to good music.

So, I hope I may be able to help shepard some of you Jamheads along the same path I took into the klezmer scene. Where to start you ask? You're in luck! This weekend my band is recording a live CD at 2 concerts in downtown Toronto and we'd love to see some jamheads out there. We really need a boisterous audience out to assist us in the live recording so I hope some of you will brave the cold and let us warm you up with some hot music. I GUARANTEE you will appreciate this music, especially if you like new acoustic music a la Grisman, Bela, etc. - we're like an east-European-flavoured equivalent. The stuff we do is progressive, fun, and exciting, with great musicianship. Very unique music. (Have I made my point yet? [smile] Check out our website for details about the band: www.beyondthepale.net , and PLEASE do not hesitate to message me if you have questions about the band, these shows, klezmer music, or other fantastic east European music that I know would blow your minds. Peace.

[ 01-19-2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Booche ]

Archived