Jambands.ca

Grammy's suck donkey dick

kung

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

the Junos are a FAR better show than the Grammys, have been for years.

-

Musicface, the Junos are truly terrible, as are all award shows. How can the Junos be good when traditional award winners like OLP, Nickelback, Celine, Shania etc.. are constantly praised and are a part of the annual ceremony?

That being said, some perfomers and performances can be good on any award show. It's arrogant and short-sighted to think otherwise: Remember Frank Zappa feeding the Grammy audience baby doll parts?

Hey, I'm not defending who the Juno awards are actually given to, believe me. And I'm not even saying it's a great, or even a barely watchable show. But at least I get the sense, for the couple of minutes I've probably spent watching the show in the last few years anyway, that there's at least some real energy to the show itself, and that at least there's an attempt to make it about the fans and about being a "real" event and not simply the self-congratulatory wank-fest of a bloated, out-of-touch-with-reality industry.

Two years ago (I think it was) when they went to St. John's and the Barenaked Ladies hosted (with some help from Sean Cullen,) at least there were some fun and irreverent moments, again for the probably 10 minutes total that I watched anyway. And the fact that they'd even bother to haul the show to St. John's tells you that at least they're trying.

Believe me, I came to the realization in about 1988 that pretty well all award shows suck. I'm just saying personally I think the Canadian ones suck slightly less hard.

- M.

Archived