Jambands.ca

Grammy's suck donkey dick

kung

So I'm major pissed I turned them on at the wrong time and missed Prince (they never replay this shit either do they?) but from the rest of it I don't get the sense I missed anything much. Loved that Celine had her monitors fucked up- which by the way how can you fuck up two lines when they're a single mic and piano- somebody's getting fired. Then Sting and Sean Paul whose vocals were barely audible. The funkstravaganza was just plain embarassing. Good exposure for Rob Randolph et al but really that was cheddar (I'm sure others will say it was awesome). Did anyone else notice that Andre 3000 wasn't even playing with Outkast, they just put in some Andre 4000 clone in bug eye glasses as if no one would notice- guess we know why they put out two solo albums this time around- no more Outkast long live King Andre. Then to cap it all off they get Geriatric Cracklord waddling around to his 'anthem' with his freebasing buddies. It's not even over yet but can't see them pulling out of this nosedive.

I thought this thread got deleted last night after posting it (wasn't sure if I'd offended any donkeys or donkey dick suckers). Anyways I'm with all of your comments Adam (developed some kaleidoscope pics from Frontiertown by the way and there's some great ones of you, katie, john and steph - send me a message with your mailing addy)- Ma Timberlake obviously used to work at a peeler on the Orlando strip. I really think it's lame that Andre didn't perform on the funk thing- it's like billing Steely or Dan as Steely Dan. I thought it got a bit better as the night went on. The Zevon tribute was touching to say the least. I thought the Foo Fighters/ Chick Corea collaboration wasn't a total washout and of course the Hey Ya closer rocked with the marching band and tomahawk chops.

Oh and Mr. M what the hell do you expect us to watch- the Junos or ECMA's- those just make me embarassed to be Canadian. Like when Chad Kroeger beat Ron Sexsmith for best songwriter last year- Cha As If!

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

Oh and Mr. M what the hell do you expect us to watch- the Junos or ECMA's- those just make me embarassed to be Canadian. Like when Chad Kroeger beat Ron Sexsmith for best songwriter last year- Cha As If!

Notwithstanding the Kroeger/Sexsmith thing (which I agree is a crock on a similar scale to the aforementioned "Best Male" deal), the Junos are a FAR better show than the Grammys, have been for years.

That said, I still wouldn't go out of my way to watch them if there was a decent Simpson's re-run, or an episode of MXC or Robot Wars for that matter - less mindless. [Razz]

- M.

P.S. BradM, thanks for the note on "This Is Wonderland" tonight, although unfortunately I'll be out. May have to dig out the remote to set the VCR.

Everything that I was interested in seeing happened within the first 15 minutes of the show.

I got to see prince perform, and I got to see Beyonce shake it to that, as well as the beatle 'tribute'.

Mind you, when I received word that TimberFlake was to apologize and that Janet refused to even appear because she said sorry enough already, I realized I had to see this shameful performance.

That's when it became perfectly clear. CBS must have said to TimberFlake "Listen, you apologize on the air, and we'll give you a Grammy".

There's no way he won that fair and square.

Why all the goddamn MEDLEY'S? BOOO!

Why was Sting wearing a Japanese schoolgirls outfit? (ENOUGH with Roxanne already! That was the worst arrangement I've ever heard - Sean Paul was AWFUL)

Foo Fighters/Chick Corea - most awkward collaboration of the night. Noodley piano over a 3 chord rock song doesn't work.

Justin Timberlake is a 100% PUSSY for apologizing AGAIN - he's not the one who flashed the Superbowl. I would have had a lot more respect for him if he just said nothing, or made fun of the public's over-reaction. PUSSY!

The Beatles tribute was EMBARASSING to say the least. Why the fuck did they choose Saw Her Standing There? It was out of Dave's singing range and there's so many better ones they could have chosen... BOOO!

-

The tokenism of last night's Grammy's was blatantly offensive. The only reason Chick Corea, Arturo Sandoval, and to a smaller extent Alison Krauss, got anywhere near the stage was because they were partnered with alleged hip ( i.e. commercial ) acts.

I thought some of the performaces were good. Prince gernerally smoked on guitar. Robert Randolph was pretty good too ( as usual ). But The White Stripes " kicked out the jams motherfuckers ". Come on people. Jack jammed on Son House's " Death Letter " for Satan's sake, and it freakin' smoked. Blues performers of any sort outside of Eric Clapton ( yawn ), never get on the Grammy's. The Delta blues was alive and well last night.

Guest Low Roller

I missed the show, but I'm sure I didn't "miss" the show if you smell what the Roller is cooking (lame).

I think we really need to come to grips that music is split into two different entities: commercial and "underground". If it's on TV, it's most likely commercial. And we hate commercial.

White Stripes rock.

The fact that the grammy's were so fucked actually made them interesting. Katie and I laughed our way through the hilarity of Celine's monitor troubles, The funk-a-thon that was only half-decent because of Outkast, and 50 cent disrupting Evanescence getting an award (once a thug, always a thug...even when you're being awarded for being a thug).

Of course the biggest highlight was mama timberlake's incredible assets, but a close second was Ozzie Osbourne in a neck brace

....a night I'm thankful my TV is equipped with "picture in picture"...you can watch Trailer Park Boys or Tenacious D (now on Showcase, Sunday, 10pm!) and switch over when something irresistibly horrible comes on.....kinda like passing a car accident.....you just have to look.....

I thin kthe Grammy's would be more interested if people were ripping off eachothers costumes. And what was with Christina, lame dress, and whats with the hair. Not gonna lie though Madonna is damn sex. Beyonce should learn to just shut up. I thouhgt that song was over about 15 times and she just kept coming back with more and more yoddling. Shit. I personally however enjoyed the funk tribute. Samuel L. was a solid host.

Guys, guys, guys... you're all hardworking, (theoretically) intelligent Canadian fellows - what the hell are you even WATCHING the gawddamn Grammys for in the first place?

My wife flipped to it for about 30 seconds during a commercial in the Food Networks all-chocolate, all-night marathon just in time to see George Harrison, Warren Zevon, Sting & Michael MacDonald get beat for "Best Male Pop Vocal Performance" by Justin Timberlake. I said "hon, if you want to flip to that again let me know so I can be out of the room, 'k?"

- M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

Guys, guys, guys... you're all hardworking, (theoretically) intelligent Canadian fellows - what the hell are you even WATCHING the gawddamn Grammys for in the first place?

My wife flipped to it for about 30 seconds during a commercial in the Food Networks all-chocolate, all-night marathon just in time to see George Harrison, Warren Zevon, Sting & Michael MacDonald get beat for "Best Male Pop Vocal Performance" by Justin Timberlake. I said "hon, if you want to flip to that again let me know so I can be out of the room, 'k?"

- M.

Agreed. Even in Ottawa, where The Food Network isn't part of basic cable [Mad] , the choices at 8pm alone included:

1. "The Simpsons" (a new one, and not bad)

2. "Nature" on PBS doing a show about diamonds

3. A special "This Is Wonderland"*

I can't think of a single reason to watch the Grammy Awards, especially given how gun-shy the show's producers have become after the fracas at the Super Bowl halftime show. Nothing to see here, move along people...

Aloha,

Brad

* Note that tonight's episode of "This Is Wonderland" is on at 8:30pm instead of its usual 9pm timeslot.

So we're defending the mainstream hype machine now? I guess it's a valid question, do I ever look for the good in anything but not really. Anybody who knows me knows I always throw down at shows and am usually gushy after the show, when I get a bit of distance on things I try and be crticial. What's interesting to me is how I'm the only one who really is consistently critical of our culture, in a loving and supportive way hopefully, I don't know I'd feel the urge to be so critical if I didn't have to carry the bulk of the weight myself.

Archived