Jambands.ca

Computer Question - need Help

greasyfizeek

XP as mentioned is a real resouce hog. 256MB is a minimum I would say. Pay attention to your HD size as well. I would imagine that if you are running with 64MB your probably don't have much real estate either. There are some tweaks that you can do with WIN XP to make things run a bit smoother, ie turning off many of the fancy bells and whistles. Good Luck!!

XP rules! Give it some RAM (I'd go 256MB). Of course, if you're comfortable using washed-up six-year old technology, you could follow secondtube's advice and install Windows 98SE. It was quite stable in the day. Of course, XP is far more stable so I'd say stick with it!

(I love ya secondtube but I'm never going to agree with ya about running WIN98SE. [Wink] )

thanks for the advice folks. i had a major problem with win98 and a corrupted system.ini file. that's why i upgraded.

i'm still a little confused how to put this all into my computer, but i'm sure i'll figure it out. PM me if you feel like helping me through this process.

tungsten, i'll get in touch over the next few days about the RAM.

greasyfizeek

well, you DEFINATELY want more ram if your going to run xp, which is a resource hog.

pretty much find your motherboard manual, and figure out what the max ram your board can handle.

then buy it. it'll be sdram, which may be somewhat hard to find these days, and it'll be relatively cheap.

how old is your computer? when you open your case up, how many chips comprise your 64 meg ram? How man ram slots are empty?

These are all important questions you need to know before you buy more ram.

Archived