Jambands.ca

What song caused you to...

Jaimoe

... get pulled over for speeding?

I got pulled over last Easter while grooving to Derek Trucks' slide work on " Leave My Blues At Home " from The Allman Brothers' live album: Peakin' At The Beacon. The playing was so intense and smokin' that it made the ticket justifiable!

I been caught speeding,

I was on my way to Smithville. I changed the radio over and then it happened. Time slowed down as highway star came on. The light and the mood created a semi Dazed and Confused / Gone in sixty seconds feel about the car. The faster I went the better I felt. You should have seen it. Me jamming out and my poor old Aries going as fast as she would let me. Before I knew it the cop had me for doing 10 over the speed limit for a sustained period. Sad but true

This isn't a speeding story per se, but illustrates the connection between music, mood, mind, and motoring.

On the way back from CTMF last May, in somewhat of a "hurting" state, with Graham driving, me riding shotgun, and Dr. H power-napping in the backseat, Graham asked me to choose the next CD.

I flipped through the collection, and almost chose "Kind Of Blue" by Miles Davis. Then I thought what it would do to us (and the driver in particular). It's a mellow, introspective, emotional album, perfect for chilling out in the living room...but dead wrong for keeping you "up" for a road trip in a less-then-perky state of mind.

Instead, I chose a '93 Willie Nelson show. It was perfect: short songs, strong rhythms, and fun to listen to. It worked: we made it back in one piece.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived