Jambands.ca

e-mail weirdness

weezy

Maybe someone out there can tell me how this could happen...

I checked my hotmail account yesterday morning and had 9 new messages, all returned mail from different mailer daemon whatevers saying they couldn't send the e-mail I sent. However, I didn't send any of the initial messages - they appear to be spams - subject headings said Re:New Car, Webcam sex etc... So I changed my password and forwarded the notices to abuse@hotmail...

The same thing is happening today, even though I changed my password. How could someone (or something) be sending mail from my hotmail account like this?

Hotmail hasn't responded to my cries yet.

It's freakin' me out, man...

I had something similarly freaky happen a day ago- I got what was obviously virus emails. "I send this to you for you to approve" etc. But the attachments were named after things that I was interested in or had surfed the net for i.e. German History etc. Freaky.

I also get alot of emails from Star Wars Kids but that's because someone signed me up as a gag in retribution for criticising Burt presumably.

Hmmm, not to mention that hotmail is taking a real long time today, or is that just me. Also I send an email to someone who I know has a hotmail account and got a return, invalid address, so, looks like there is definitely hacker/virus shit going down. Good thing we have the sanctuary. Instead of just checking your email, tell all your friends to use this forum as a "email" type mechanism.

Here is a solution to everybody's problem. Don't use hotmail smile.gif" border="0 I have had an account there for many many years but I only use it to post on internet forms and stuff now. Basically, hotmail blows. I would recomend gmx as Ive yet to recieve a SINGLE spam email. Problem with gmx is that I think they have given up on multilingual interface. The website may be all in German now smile.gif" border="0 They rule though!! I know its a pain in the ass to change your email, BUT, after a little messing around its well worth it. Good luck!

Here's what hotmail had to say...

"I am sorry that you received an unsolicited message appearing to have

originated from your account. An unknown individual is forging your account’s

message headers to make it appear that the message originates from your Hotmail

account.

Some individuals sending unsolicited e-mail use bulk mail programs that forge

headers onto the e-mail message. Some of these programs combine the recipient’s

account name or e-mail address with another domain name to try and make it

appear more authentic. This bypasses the some filters because the message

appears to originate from the recipient's own account. They also try to trick

people by taking the name of the recipient’s account and forging it into the

header with another domain name to try and make it appear more authentic.

This is what happened to you. Be assured, however, that the sender did not

break into your account or send you a computer virus. And, your account name was

most likely not used to send e-mail to other users. Your account name is unique,

and no two Hotmail users have the same account name."

Does that mean I'm special? aha1blue.gif