Jambands.ca

Fat Cats vs Nero

show---whore

So im listening to both shows today trying to find the winner of the weekend, its been a tuff choice but im going have to give to the Fat Cats the were on fucking fire. Listening to this show i was thinking how did the stage not go up in flames. Im hearing things in the instruments and the singing that i havn't heard from the Fat Cats in a long long time. But some how Nero got me dancing harder then ever.

Well, i think most of us are biased on this board towards nero cause they have been watching them since the beginning.

i'm the same way, but for the fatties. i think you danced harder to nero cause of the drum and bass beats they produce. Fatties will not fall into the "tND, particle, dbiscuits, sts9, lake trout, etc." drum and repetitive bass beats. BUT that is what makes you move. Yes, you will probably dance harder at nero (though i didn't) but when you sit down and listen to the music, ALL aspects of the music, I believe the fatties win HANDS DOWN.

BUT with that said, give nero 10 years, hopefully some expansion on their style, and we may have a new CANJAM leader.

'Till then, the Fatties rain champion in this country in my books.

my 2 cents

Fat Cats ... great songs with vocals that get me thinking and smiling, and a groove that makes me want to dance.

nero ... mind-blowing instrumental moments, and some heavy grooves to get sweaty to.

Each band does what they do so well - it was a treat to be able to experience both bands this past weekend.

Peace, Mark

oh show--whore be careful. you DON'T want to make it a contest.

If one band doesn't stick out over the other, don't worry about it. Like mark said, we were lucky to see both.

every day i try to think who i enjoy more, the Dead, or Phish. One day Dead, next day Phish. Doesn't really matter. Both were great.

Let the music play.

Well, i guarentee if I had seen as many Dead shows (i saw NONE) as i've seen Phish (20 something) there wouldn't be a contest.

BUT i'm comparing a band that I have never seen to a band that threw the greatest event in my life. Nothing has ever come even remotely close to Big Cypress, nothing ever will. I experienced absolute personal bliss at cypress. Nothing can ever touch that feeling at midnight. i'm actually getting tears thinking about it.

Phish will ALWAYS hold a VERY special place in my heart, a place that only the reincarnation of Jerry and the rest of the boys could touch.

I can not believe you feel the need to defend your love of Phish on this board. Wow.

Music as we all know is all about the way it makes us feel. To me, there is no better feeling then listening to Phish, seeing Phish and experiencing the vibe that follows Phish. nero does almost the exact same thing for me. Whether they're the greatest band playing in Ottawa or Canada is of no concern to me (although I do wish for them to find success), it is all about the way their music makes me feel. When I close my eyes and let their music possess my body, there really is NO greater feeling for me. Somehow they have created my perfect sound, the sound that brings me closest to bliss that I have ever experienced. My feet love the drums, my hips love the bass and my arms and shoulders are crazy about Lauzon. Man, I'm smiling just thinking of the way they make me smile!

We are comparing two bands that should not be compared for I don't believe one is necessarily better than the other. They are simply different. That's part of what makes this "jamband" scene so interesting and fun, it's what keeps me interested....the eclectic mix of bands and sounds. I never understood how people could compare the Dead with Phish, trying to decide which band is better. They are so different it's silly. We tend to compare jazz to funk to psychadelia to bluegrass to experimental rock to electronic music. They are all different. Apples and oranges. Both are good for you and both taste damn good IMHO.

quote:

We tend to compare jazz to funk to psychadelia to bluegrass to experimental rock to electronic music. They are all different. Apples and oranges. Both are good for you and both taste damn good IMHO.

My thoughts exactly !!

Comparing two set of music

Im not saying that Fat Cats or Nero are the best bands ever im just says that in those two tonight and those two sets of music who do you think had a better set of music for you. The Cats did it for me mentaly, and Nero got my ass shaking. I was happy to that Fat Cats are playing shows all summer at this leve on jamming [big Grin] These two are clearly the hightlights of the weekend and im looking to see if anyone can have an opinion on th is matter. [Eek!][Eek!]

No matter how well each band performed, there is no possible comparison- Its like trying to compare The Band and Mahavishnu Orchestra (each incredibly talented, visionary and fresh and from around the same time period). It just can't be done. I love the music of both of those bands but can't see where this debate could possibly have arisen. Lets just give them both two thumbs high in the air, or the three fingered devil salute whichever you prefer.

Yes, festival setups are sometimes questionable- but the guys that put these on are trying to cater to everyone. I am sure in time that we'll see plenty of nero headlining slots, but for the time being we should all be happy (and I am sure they are too) that they get to 'prove' themselves to people who might not otherwise see them. If nero plays before anyone it should only give the crowd more reason to get that next band pumped and encourage them to kick it up a notch. And if not, there can always be late night fireside rants of how wicked the trio was.

For such a young band, their level of desire is something I find incredibly refreshing. Lets all just sit back and take it in wherever and whenever we can- and help it grow. I have seen these boys play to 4-6 people out here on the East Coast and it never seems to matter at all to the band who is in the room other than the core three on stage. If we all keep talking and trading closing slots will come naturally.

As for the resurgence of the Fat Cats, I am totally excited. One of my favorite cds in my collection is the 9.21.01 Jambands.ca Fatties set courtesy of EW (tungsten). I just wish they'd come visit us in the Maritimes.

Peace

Sean