Jambands.ca

nerolog, Stardate 090102

Velvet

Hey all. Been a while since I posted any of these nerolog things, so I thought I'd throw the most recent one up here on the Sanctuary. This will be the last one I post here; they'll be on the neroland.com site from now on. There should be a whole slew of new ones added any minute now, but until then, here's the Frontier Town log.

nero @ Come Together Festival, Frontier Town, Durham, Ontario

"I would build that dome in air, that sunny dome with caves of

ice. And all who've heard would see them there...Weave a circle

'round them thrice, for he on honeydew hath fed, and drank the

milk of paradise."

-Coleridge

Sometimes when you hit that zone where the sun comes around to remind you that the only remaining darkness is within, that common place (we've all been there) where all the stars have finally fallen and the birds replace silent night screams with songs both pagan and holy, yea, that moment where options crystallize and choices tug at your soul like an Asian street vendor tugging on your hard currency, sometimes, if the balance is right and the senses properly eschewed, the significance of partying all night oozes through a soul like a sponge with the cold sweats. Take more or attempt sleep? See, not so easy, is it smartypants?

Funny what happens to a persons mind given enough mileage and sleep deprivation, but one of my greatest pleasures in life now is to see a nero sticker on a car. Forget baby's first step or the club med scene, give me shiny silver stickers on cars. Weird huh? I saw at least two at the festival and it made my heart warm as buttocks. It's really an inanimate personification (oxymoron, anyone?) for community and excitement; flying your colors, primed and juiced to get it all down together, Congealed for the Cause.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that nero finally headlined a nice festival where people were all genuinely excited to lose their shit before one and all. 99th show of the year. I'd love to say (type) that as our little solitary sun beat the shit out of the stars both numerous and mighty last night (this morning? today? you can see where this is going...), I sat and poignantly contemplated where this band will be next year, the year after, and where will the line be that divides the Old Days and the Way It Is; will there be a watermark where we can point and say, "it started here" or will the division appear more blurred? I'd like to say (type) that, but it would be a lie, and we have no time for lies here. Because as I sat there trying to find the divide betwixt last night and tomorrow what I think I thought of was the inside of my head and all that was going on there, which was, of course, nothing but looking inside a little head. Like one of those infinite refraction things you hear so much about but rarely get to try, and I may not know what the hell I'm talking about now, but I can sure tell you that I didn't then, and didn't mean to besides. All I did know (I think) is that days can start and end without benefit of clock or calendar, the use of which is irrelevant save for watch-clockers and timeologists (and whose hiring them nowadays anyway?) and those less interested in having a good time than say just having good time (percussionists thoughtfully excluded), and what difference does it make anyway? Person walks by a tent muttering about how late it is while someone pokes their head outta their fly and yawns about how early it is. An insomniacs striptease, yes, and there's the point. Jay slept in the dark, Shane in the dusk, me full-on day and Dave not at all. Doesn't matter, we're all on the bus now, driving. Driving. Always driving. Our postal code is FRD 401, our backyard paved, five lanes wide. We ain't got no map, but we're all pretty sure this is the Way.

Perhaps headlining Come Together is a dividing line, or it could be that we're still wallowing in the good ole days, and it doesn't matter; those who heard saw them there, I got weaved at least thrice and paradise is around. I'd like to say that's always been true, but if so, why are we driving? Let's hope there's less significance in shadow hanging.

Quote of the Day: "There's a certain magic that happens when acidheads meet townies renting movies."

Effervescence>

Hockey Night

Zedonk

Holetown Charlie>

Lemondust>

Basheeba>

Lemondust

401 Theme

Pumpkin Song

e: Little Wing*>

Chocolate Monkey Machine

* first time played

quote:

An insomniacs striptease, yes, and there's the point. Jay slept in the dark, Shane in the dusk, me full-on day and Dave not at all. Doesn't matter, we're all on the bus now, driving. Driving. Always driving. Our postal code is FRD 401, our backyard paved, five lanes wide. We ain't got no map, but we're all pretty sure this is the Way.

That is a very cool sentiment Todd. I love nero, and their desire to play their music- the scene wouldn't be the same without you and your trio.

Give us a call whenever you are headed back. We can't wait for another dose of nero!

Peace

Sean

ps. Keep the starlogs comin, there are lots of us who read them. I also noticed suspiciously that the summer tour logs end right before Saint John. What nothing good to say about your one drunk fan waiting until three for a ride home in the bus, falling over railings at the only fast food place in town that was open, free huge bags of fries, YOUR OWN apartment.

pps. Did Dave ever give you the Telegraph Journal from your last visit with the little nero blurb in it?

Her ya go Sean, by special request:

Stardate 06232402

nero @ The Waterfront, Saint John, New Brunswick

Dragged our sorry carcasses outta bed and hit the road to Saint John. Met up with our super-hosts Sean and Nina and surfed/ate/drank/smoked/hung until soundcheck. The setup was slightly different this time at the Waterfront in that I got to do the door from a place where I could see/hear the band. Pretty slow first night - so slow in fact that the bar guy said it was up to us if we even wanted to bother playing the next night too. Of course we do! People will come. Luckily, I was right, and after a long rambling interview at the campus station (my first time being included in the interview booth!) and a fine meal we found a lot more people came out for the second night. Good thing we stuck around. Special mention goes to the insane McDonalds walk-thru experience where the wacky worker dudes set us up with about six pounds of french fries that were destined for the dumpster. Score one for the late nite drunks.

Another east coast tour under our belts, and next time will be the warmup for Evolve. More good times ahead...I guess that's the key.

The key is also not dying. When we pulled into the parking lot for food in Edmunston, the brakes failed to work. We found a mechanic that told us we needed a new vacuum pump for the braking system, but he couldn't do the repair for days. "If your goin' to Ottawa you should be okay, just take it easy." Easy is just how we took it, and we made it okay. We didn't have much stopping to do anyways.

I

Effervescence>

Moby's Dream>

Lemondust

Joseph's B&E Bonanza

Holetown Charlie>

First Tube

II

Oregano Mice>

Centragnome

Seasons of the Abyss

Whispy Mountain Wonder

Chameleon>

Miko Mard

e: Pumpkin Song

I

El Vezz>

Wata Bug

401 Theme

Speed Queen

Tonto's Underwater Paradise>

Hotentot

II

Gordon's Revenge>

Hockey Night>

Condor

Lemondust>

Basheeba>

Lemondust*

e: Peaches en Regalia

* w/ Hockey Night and Miko Mard teases

Nero is a big, bad unstoppable juggernaut of sound right. They almost killed me at Frontier Town (aside: first time hallucinatin at Nero show, Jay put your head back on your body) and the night before in London, MONSTER lemondust. Look forward to reading about that one In Neroland. Thanks again boys and Todd (remember the hanging shadow?)