Jambands.ca

John Butler Trio

Sarahbelle

I saw these guys last night, they were amazing! There weren't too many familiar people there though, the bar was packed with Australians [smile] That's cool though cause they were all really friendly!

Anywho, y'all should really check out the website www.johnbutlertrio.com (i think)

He's kinda like a cross between ben harper and eddie veddar (don't worry, not at all like pearl jam)

Cheers,

Sarah

I was there last night also.

I had never heard of the John Butler Trio before but I quite enjoyed the show. He's an awesome guitar player/vocalist and there were some definite high moments to the evening. I thought at times though that the music ventured into middle-of-the-road territory; however, the band managed to veer away from overly mundane musical stylings before the songs could be deemed too tedious.

My favorite parts were during the first half of the show... the drummer had kind of that Rusted Root driving drum beat happening and the energy and sunny sweetness of John's playing rivalled some great Bela Flec moments I've heard. The stand up bass was a treat to see and hear also.

So many Aussies in the bar last night... I've never seen so many tall people at the comfort zone.

John gave Mark Wilson a free CD which was pretty cool. Mark Wilson and the Way It Is opened... I missed them (I got there during the final "thank you very much have a great night" chord) but I saw tons of people going up to Mark and his band giving them kudos after the fact which was great.

On one note though, I felt a bit bad for the rest of the John Butler Trio band... after the show people were shoving past the drummer and the bassist lining up to get John's autograph. I can't determine whether it would be a relief or get tiring to constantly have the focus on one, rather than all, members of the band.

They played in Vancouver a while back to mixed reviews - some thought they were too mainstream for their tastes - but good (in a DMB sorta way)

They are from Australia - confirmed.

I'm going to see a guy named Xavier Rudd next Sunday - he's also from Australia (Melbourne) and has been compared with John Butler and DMB etc...

I'm only going because it's an Upstream Entertainment Event, I've never heard of the guy - they branded themselves so well, I go to see almost every event they put-on - whether I've heard of the bands or not... - they f*%#n ROCK! you should all be very jealous of our happy feel-good, rapidly growing scene out here - everyone co-exists and supports eachother without bullshit.

I have both of JBT's albums, the first is more of an EP and the sedond a somewhat major debut disc. Both albums have a kind of busker quality to the playing and songs, good busker you could say. He's something like the fourth biggest artist in Oz which for an independent is huge. I know what you mean about veering to the middle of the road, I was hesitant to see him but missed the show more because of work. He does have great socially conscious songs, Media is one that comes to mind. Maybe another called Pickapart? One song can't remember the title deals with domestic abuse. Betterman is by far the best song of the bunch, and it does justice to his voice: "A betterman I am says I comin' through on back to you, cause you have taught me so many things about myself and you know this is true."

On another note Upstream rocks that is for damn sure.