Jambands.ca

Sushi ...

arcane

In our quest for the perfect sushi place, we've managed to find a gem in the rough.

At BradM's suggestion, we--that is, BradM, DancingFool, The Mercenary and I--trekked out to Seoul House (601 Somerset). What a find! According to The Mercenary, who is the resident expert on all things fishy, this place has what is probably the best sushi we've had so far in Ottawa.

We had a boatload of sushi. Literally. We ordered a Large Boat (also called "Love Boat" on the menu), which came served in a--surprise, surprise--wooden boat ("reduced scale" says The Mercenary, who seems compelled to make this account as accurate as possible ... the smartass).

Quantity and quality were exceptional for the price, although the selection is was a little limited. However, the accoutrements made up for the lack of variety. Beyond identifying some of the basic ingredients, we had no idea what any of those five or six little bowls of magic were (this is a Korean restaurant--in a Japanese place we'd have had a small clue). One exception: I'm pretty sure that one of them was kimchee (fermented Chinese cabbage with ground red chilies--yow!).

I'm not one for rating things, but I've give this place a bunch of chopsticks out of a slightly larger bunch of chopsticks.

In return for his expertise in all things fishy, I have introduced The Mercenary to the concept of Dim Sum. After having a boatload of sushi on Saturday night and a gajillion dumplings at the Yangtze on Sunday morning (well, it was morning in *my* universe [smile] ), with a 2 a.m. feeding at the Elgin Street Diner in the interim, I don't think I'll be eating anything other than broccoli for the next week.

What prompted me to suggest going to the place for dinner was a laudatory review in the XPress.

I loved the place. The sushi was good, the sashimi was fantastic, and the tempura blew me away. If you go, one caveat: the place is pretty small; we saw several groups turned away (largely due to a couple of 6-8 person reservations). If you're going with >= 4 people on a Saturday, you might want to get reservations.

Aloha,

Brad