Jambands.ca

New Led Zep DVD out today!!!

Rob Not Bob

I was at the opening at the IMAX. All I can say is WOW! All those people who acuse Jimmy Page of playing with broken fingers need to see the 1970 show at the Albert Hall. The "White Summer" is stellar and the rest of the show is too. Way back when, around I and II, before the excess of stardom and the 70's, they were the hottest little blues band around! Highly recomended.

WOW - WHAT A RELEASE!!!!!!

Picked it up last night, all around amazing stuff on this one folks....the acoustic set from '75 is beautiful, and the full show (1hr 40min) from 1970 on the first disk is also nuts!! Lots of other stuff like the complete Dutch b&w stuff from '69, and seeing Knebworth '79 fully restored is a treat! Lots of other stuff as well, I gotta give this one two thumbs up!! (and only $32 for 5+ hours of stuff)

(This review used the word "stuff" 5 times)

I'm with Jaimoe, the version of No Quarter on The Song Remains The Same is ok but I've heard awesome versions from later tours. I am psyched at seeing/hearing the version of In My Time Of Dying and Achilles Last Stand, one of the things that frustrates me most about TSRTS is that its material stops just short of much of my favorite stuff (Physical Graffiti, Presence, I am one of those freaks who loves In Through The Out Door). A pity they don't have a version of Ten Years Gone (I have it on a boot but would love to see it). Does any of the in house Zep experts know if they ever did Tea For One (one of my favorite Presence tracks) live? Anybody have a recording?

Rob Not Bob

Got the DVD on his lunch break, can't wait to watch it

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Not Bob:

I am one of those freaks who loves In Through The Out Door...

I'm not much of a Zeppelin fan these days (loved 'em in high school) but I always thought that was an underrated album.

Had Bonham lived, I believe the 80's may have seen a very, very intersting development of Led Zep!

(WHY IS THIS FONT HUGE?!? [Mad][Mad] )

The acoustic set from 1975 is killer. For all you guitar players out there, you can see what Jimmy is doing most of the time.

There are also some down right funny moments like watching them mime for TV (they look like kids playing air guitar) and the audience at "Tous En Scene". I can see a few babies with their mothers, super square just wishing it was over. Also, there are a bunch of orchestra types, obviously not impressed by the bow sounds ... BUT I AM!!!

You don't have to be a big Zep fan to like this one, especially the 1970 show and the price is right.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

I gotta check that out Rob....you know what else really surprised me...? Bonham's back-up vocals! He does some sweet stuff! way to go Bonzo!

So I wasn't the only one who noticed that [smile] So I guess they all sang at one point or another ... are there any Zeppelin experts who know who did the backing vocals the few times they did Battle Of Evermore live? I know that on the recording from the 4th album it was a duet with the late great Sandy Denny from Fairport Convention , but I have a bootleg somewhere from the Presence tour where they did it live and acoustic, and one of the guys does the backing vocals and it is, err, a little off. Can anybody tell me which one?

Rob Not Bob

geek

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

I have NO idea on that one Rob, but I would suspect Bonham.....

Don't think so, sounded like either Jones or Page (Bonham tended to sit out that part of the acoustic set ... I always figured he was backstage getting the blowjob that the other guys were getting during Moby Dick [Wink] ) I'm just not sure which. Bonham just never sounded that fey.

Rob Not Bob

Archived