Jambands.ca

Alston traded!!!

badams

The Toronto Raptors have traded troubled point guard Rafer Alston to the Houston Rockets for point guard Mike James.

Alston, who signed a six-year deal with the Raptors before last season, was involved in several controversies last season. He threatened to quit the team and the NBA after a Dec. 3 game in Boston and was suspended by the Raptors for two games for conduct detrimental to the club after he walked out during a practice.

Alston averaged 14.2 points and 6.4 assists in 34 minutes per game last year.

The defensive-minded James has just two years remaining on his contract. Though not as electric on the court as Alston, James has some scoring punch and was a big part of the Rockets playoff push last year.

James averaged 12.4 points and 2.9 assists in 25.6 minutes per game with the Rockets last year after being acquired from Milwaukee Bucks. He also shot a solid 39.3% from three-point range.

The writing was on the wall although I am surprised that another team decided to pick him up. What's the word on this James kid?

Much older?

Off-court problems?

Injury risk?

There has to be something.

He's 30 Alston 29

No off-court problems

Seems pretty durable the last 3 or 4 years

It's pretty much a wash stats wise. I think the kicker is contract.

James has two years left on his contract. The Raptors signed Alston to a six-year deal in 2004.

It will save the Raptors $16 mil over three years.

I think they are hoping one of their European PG will mature and take over within that time frame.

By all accounts James sounds like a good guy. Swirski had a commentater from Houston say so, as well as a guy from the Knicks. Apparently Houston needs Alston just to stay as offensive as the rest of their conference. They think he will fit well with McGrady and Ming. Thats at least what they say anyway...

..For what its worth, I base most of my player knowledge on video games, and James aint half bad in 2005....