Jambands.ca

Protestors go postal!

Birdy

Violence on the ice!

I caught a little of this last night on the news and was completely shocked at how out of hand the entire situation is getting. Johnny Vasic, a Los Angeles based protestor who was arrested, was on camera calling for "Violence on the Ice" to continue, and for all protestors to do 'what they have to' to stop the hunt from happening. Man, was I fired up when i saw that!!

I feel like organizing a posse to observe the observers. It seems clear that they've been ignoring the restrictions placed upon them; restrictions that seem pretty reasonable to me to ensure the safety of everyone concerned. I wonder if the protesters would be all smiles if every meeting and action they were involved in were monitored?

i'd like to observe the observers too. i googled this jonny vasic guy and as it turns out this isn't the first time he's been involved in a fight with a sealer. that and watching him on TV last night call on fellow 'observers' to use violence to get their point across convicts him in my eyes. how hypocritical are they? they despise the so-called violence they accuse hunters of, and then call for it to suit their own cause.

probably a cop... well, can't really say... just watched a show on undercover new york city police who infiltrate protests and try to incite the crowd so the officials have the right to move in and break up the protest and clear the streets

ran into one of those in Quebec City in 2001 as well... Johnny nutjob yelling "common, what are we waiting for?" who mostly just annoyed people there to lawfully protest, eventually people told him to get lost and the next time he was seen was on the other side of the police line yaking it up

Edited by Guest

could it have been last year, when this article was published? ;)

ahah! yikes! i SWEAR he was on tv LAST NIGHT, arrested!! i SWEAR!

then i just googled it this morning and this was the first article that popped up with a march date and well.. you know the rest of the story.

i'm a fraud.

but i swear this guy was arrested yesterday.

:)

Ha! I didn't catch the date either. It sure reads like this years news. Here's a bit about how that case turned out:

Edmonton Sun Sea Shepherd loses challenge By CP December 10, 2005

GEORGETOWN, P.E.I. -- Animal rights activists have lost a legal challenge of Ottawa's right to restrict their movement during seal hunts.

Judge Nancy Orr ruled in provincial court yesterday against a Charter of Rights and Freedoms challenge launched by Paul Watson and 11 protesters from the Sea Shepherd Society.

The protesters filed their charter challenge after they were arrested in the Gulf of St. Lawrence last spring and charged with violating the buffer zone around sealing ships.

The protesters and Watson argue that federal regulations requiring them to stay half a nautical mile from sealing activities is an infringement on their right to freedom of expression.

Orr said their rights were infringed, but she said the infringement is justified because the sealers have a right to earn a livelihood without disruption.

Charlottetown lawyer John Mitchell, who represents the protesters, said his clients now face a trial Thursday on charges of violating federal regulations.

Mitchell said he expects prosecutors will call witnesses in the case, but he is not certain whether there will be witnesses for the defence.

"I'm watching the watchers Jerry!"

"I blame the media blamers."

what about the children? whon't someone please think of the children? Helen%20Lovejoy.JPG

Updated Thu. Mar. 31 2005 11:32 PM ET

damn lack of reading comprehension...i completely assumed that was recent news. i suppose it's getting easier to believe the worst...

somebody in another thread pointed out that going after the end user of seal pelts is a necessary part of this battle. if inuit are hunting seal for food, that's one thing. if companies are hunting for pelts for export, then that's way less acceptable.

Edited by Guest
d'oh!

my attempts to incite this thread were made without actually reading said article

I'm basically anti-seal hunt... don't mind natives taking what they need for food at all but think people would get by just fine wearing something other than young seal fur

guess during their short existence they at least have a better go of things than veal cattle

bring on the test tube fur

my attempts to incite this thread were made without actually reading said article

I'm basically anti-seal hunt... don't mind natives taking what they need for food at all but think people would get by just fine wearing something other than young seal fur

guess during their short existence they at least have a better go of things than veal cattle

bring on the test tube fur

haha test tube fur.. one day i'm sure all sealers out there won't be dressed in their usual snowsuits, but rather in white labcoats with safety goggles on behind boiling potions and microscopes genetically altering everything that was once real.