Jambands.ca

Ebola virus best way to kill billions and save world: ecologist

SevenSeasJim

hope y'all are washing your hands Howard-Hughes-like...all day and every day!!! prevention is actually THAT simple.

freemasons run the country!! simpsons.jpg

one of the things i recall from reading the hot zone is that people have come into contact with virii like ebola by encroaching on other creatures' habitat, and in many cases stealing these creatures out of said habitats and cooping them up in research lab cages.

maybe ebola is a natural control mechanism, the same way bacteriophages regulate the e. coli population in your gut.

and yes, deb, this story totally gave me a "12 monkeys" moment...

No doubt part of the problem of looking at this problem and coming down on any side of it is how weird we are (culturally speaking) about death. What was it Stalin said (not like he didn't mean it) - "One death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." Abstraction is a weird thing however you cut it.

"What we really need to do is start thinking about controlling our population before it's too late," he told the Associated Press. "It's already too late, but we're not even thinking about it. We're just mindlessly rushing ahead breeding our brains out."

He's definately got a point though. Population is the great multiplier for all our environmental sins. Whenever I find myself in a lively debate about environmentalism I feel compelled to bring it up, and without fail it kills the conversation. Nobody knows how to tackle the problem and most feel uncomfortable discussing it. It's something I've thought about a lot but I have a hard time reconciling reproductive rights with the need for population control. The only concrete thing I can think of to do about the problem here in Canada that isn't morally offensive would be to eliminate the subsidies and tax breaks that parents recieve, but I can't imagine this would be very effective as few people base their decision to have children on tax breaks and family allowances. The same would apply to financial incentives aimed at keeping family sizes low.

badams- i think it's time we had a little chat about reigning in expenses.

bradm- metal is a conductor, so the hat is the conduit to the cosmos. i would have expected a man of your learning and resources to know this. Stinkin Queens grads :P

Don't worry buddy. I have an uncle that works at Alcan. He'll get us a deal on supplies.