Jambands.ca

Jeff Healey dies at age 41 :(

Jakis

I used to live down the street from the original Healy's and saw him play many, many Thursday nights. Also caught the Jazz Wizards quite a few times around that time. Unreal guitar player, also incredible on the trumpet, and seemed like a pleasant and good-natured guy. I remember him often asking the audience a question like, "Welcome to Thursday night at Healy's, and how many of you have been here before, can I get a show of hands?" which just spoke to his good-naturedness. I'll always remember him throwing it over to his other guitar player Pat Rush to do Don't Want You No More.

When they talk about him being one of the most distinct players of our time, they're not kidding...having all five fingers on the fretboard contributed to him becoming an absolute monster on guitar, and far outside of the usual blues-rock cliches. He was an inspiration to me and I'm saddened I won't be able to see him play again. RIP.

I find it fascinating that Jeff actually had two guitar styles, his innovative lap guitar blues as well as his Django/Charlie Christian inspired hollow-body electric jazz, with his guitar held normal. The first time I saw Jeff playing jazz at The Rex shocked me because I'd never seen Jeff play and hold his guitar in a normal fashion, and he was unbelievably adept at it. His more famous blues was innovative, but often really flashy. There was no flash to his jazz. It was honest and emotional. Jeff was a wonderful musician and a fine coronet player as well.

I am so unbelievably saddened by this news. I've seen Jeff play many, many times over the years and I cannot express how shocking it is that a man of such staggering musical ability could pass at such an early age.

I am grateful for having the chance to see someone of such talent play music. He will long stand as one of Canada's best guitarists.

Jeff, we are better people for having had you with us.