Jambands.ca

TJ Ford Trade Machine

afro poppa

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scratch that Garbo comment... he's going back to Spain and we get to... wait for it...

To pay out his 4.6 mil contract, sweet, eh?

I guess it leaves some cap space but no capital to trade with again.

Question; Why do the Raptors continually allow players to not produce and then fuck off and then pay them out? Who signs these retarded contracts cause it's holding the team back?

You're right about the dough however,

What I'm saying is that he's got one year left and he's going to be playing somewhere else (Spain) and we're going to pay him to do it. Why not let him try one more time and pay him to work? I still think he's got mad talent and I want him to succeed in the NBA. Why abandon the possibility? Plus Barg's is shifty without him, check his stats while G was on the floor, much better and he was much more aggressive with the big around. They also make a better package for trading than B does alone or with TJ, (IM[notalwaysso]HO).

I just rue the way that players control the league through fear and cowardice, both their own and the owner's and fans. Seems to me the opposite of the attitude that got the Celtics the championship. I think he's packing it in and I think that's lame.

He knows more than I do for sure but it seems awkward to let so many players walk away with money without producing anything but space. That said he's improved the team and the franchise itself quite a bit in the past little while so I'm interested to see what he can make of it.

So realistically, what can we expect from the Raps this summer?

Do they trade Bargs? What are we going to get for TJ Ford (I can't see the guy staying)? Who are we going to draft? What other kind of roster shakeup can we expect, if any?

For those questions: No, there is no way we give up on Bargs that easily. For Ford I hope we fill a need of an athletic wing that can create for himself and become a viable number 2 option (or even number 1) or a big man that crash the boards and give us some toughness inside. For the draft I have no idea. As far as other roster moves I could see us trading away guys like Rasho (coming off a career year, expiring contract) and AP (his position is the one that we need to upgrade at the most and we have a few serviceable backups)

What do you all think?

Fair enough Basher, like I said BC's smarter than me.

Onward,

Rasho is a good luck charm, I hope they can keep him for depth. As much as I like AP I don't think he's atop shelf defender and I would love to see a guy like Raja Bell, or even Cuttino Mobley who moves more without the ball iuf we're trading off on defensive ability. Bosh is so stationary that we need the perimiter mobility that we lost when Mo Pete left. I still like Okur as a big man that might be attainable but I just don't see any reason to hang on to Bargs when he still has trade value and we've got a glut of power forwards who can't really compete with all-stars at the centre or the small forward position (Humph, Bargs, Graham, Bosh, Baston etc)

That said the Garbo buyout leaves a lot of room for trades that could aquire both the size and the talent this off-season. Detroit, Phoenix, Dallas and Denver all seem to need shakups, could be surprising who moves this year after the success of Boston's trades.

Edited by Guest

Lots is going to go on this summer. Delfino is probably gone, we know Garbo is gone, Brezec is gone, TJ is almost 100% gone.

Parker is a nice bench player playing the role of starter, and I could easily see him being added to a deal with TJ, and Rasho, as an expiring contract, will almost certainly be gone before the trade deadline, if not sooner.

The draft is deep enough this year that they could get a contributer at 17, but don't rule out a trade to either move up in teh draft, or get out entirely.

IMHO, this roster will have no less than 5 new faces come October, with is a third of the roster.

As for predictions on players coming this way - I don;t even bother with that. Too many possibilities to go through, but word is guys like Chris Wilcox, Mike Dunleavey, and Corey Maggette are high on the Raps wish list.

Some deals will be done between draft day and July 15th - that is a given.

Closing in on a Ford deal

Told you it was going to be a busy week of rumours and speculation and trade talk.

It’s all very tentative and quite up in the air but the Raptors have already investigated the possibility of a blockbuster trade that would net them a veteran – yet expensive – NBA centre.

According to league sources, Toronto has had talks with the Indiana Pacers about acquiring 29-year-old Jermaine O’Neal for a package that would include T.J. Ford, Rasho Nestervoic and, perhaps, the 17th pick in this week’s draft.

The talks are not the point where any deal is imminent and a deal is certainly not assured but the source said the Raptors are aggressively trying to move Ford and O’Neal is one of their targets.

Toronto also still has serious interest in forward Boris Diaw of the Phoenix Suns and is in talks with at least three other teams for trades of a similar magnitude.

O’Neal is coming off an injury-riddled season in which he played just 42 games and averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. The 6-11 centre has been working out in Las Vegas since just after the 2007-08 season ended and according to reports has just begun full-court work.

Obtaining O’Neal will be a huge two-year financial commitment for the Raptors. He’s due to make about $21 million (all figures U.S.) this season and $23 million in 2009-10. To make the trade work under NBA salary cap rules, Toronto would have to add some other pieces in addition to Ford and Nesterovic but they have several less expensive expiring contracts that would make it work.

But even if the O’Neal trade doesn’t materialize, it does signal just how hard the Raptors are trying to move Ford so they can hand over the starting point guard job to restricted free agent Jose Calderon.

With Phoenix still in the mix and the other teams having talks with Toronto, it would appear Bryan Colangelo will have plenty of options to sift through before Thursday’s draft.