Jambands.ca

Food Policy

berk

What frustrates me more about food packaging symbols is 'organic' which has little to no legal standing and might be totally meaningless in some cases.

Which is about on par with some 'Kosher' products.

The difference is that the government can and should legislate what legally constitutes "organic" but shouldn't be legislating what is or isn't "kosher". It wouldn't be proper for the government to tell a religious group what they can or should be eating; that's clearly an internal religious matter, not to mention one that not every branch of Judaism agrees on. And if there are Jews who are upset with the (mis)labelling of products or the definitions accepted by these councils, they can deal with these issues internally as well.

There seem to be multiple arguments going on here. I'm not getting into it, and I'm not trying to promote vegetarianism, etc. but it's pretty disturbing how a lot of factory farms and the big business slaughtering can be so cruel and ugly.

Whether it be in the name of religion or not, legislation should be in place to ensure the most humane and pain-free death for animals destined for the dinner plate.

Observe:

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=kosher%20slaughter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv#

Edited by Guest

Perhaps we should all just learn to hunt/gather again and then we can slaughter/bless our food however we (or our religion) see fit. I'm not trying to put words in YT's mouth, but I think what you are really trying to move forward in your discussion is the over industrialization of our food?

Thanks, Boiler Rat. That's a big part of it.

"Whether it be in the name of religion or not, legislation should be in place to ensure the most humane and pain-free death for animals destined for the dinner plate."

In a way you're right KK, but bolting beasts in the head to kill them/numb them before slaughter leaves blood in the carcass because it stops the heart...and makes it a carcass/carrion when it's 'slaughtered' which is entirely worse.

If one is going to pay respect to an animal for taking a life to eat, then it needs to be done properly, and not just to appease one side of the animal rights movement that is in itself myopic about the process of slaughter in this regard.

If that's too much for a meat eater to take then said person should become a vegetarian.