Jambands.ca

Favre Retires.......Again.

TheSloth

Werder and Mortensen report that Favre has consulted with legendary orthopedist James Andrews to consider options for completing the partial tear of the biceps tendon in his right arm. This non-surgical procedure conceivably would eliminate the pain he has had in his arm since the end of last season.

Another option is a tenotomy, where doctors would surgically complete the tear. But the ESPN report suggests Favre might not be interested in even that mild procedure.

The evidence continues to point to this sequence of events:

1 - Minnesota wants him to play quarterback in 2009.

2 - Favre is considering the possibility.

3 - Favre needs to do something to the tendon to allow him to make it through the year.

4 - Favre isn't interested in some of the options available to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Vikings legend trashes Favre

Thursday, May 28, 2009

By WEB STAFF

Sportsnet.ca

If Brett Favre signs with the Vikings, he shouldn't expect a congratulatory phone call from Fran Tarkenton.Former Minnesota Viking and Hall of Fame quarterback Fran Tarkenton has lashed out at Brett Favre over his messy exit from Green Bay and his refusal to rule out a return to the NFL next season.

In a radio interview with 790 The Zone in Atlanta on Wednesday, Tarkenton said "It’s all about" Favre.

"I think it’s despicable. What he put the Packers through last year was not good," said Tarkenton, who played for the Vikings from 1961-66 and again from 1972-78.

"Here’s an organization that was loyal to him for 17, 18 years, provided stability of organization, provided players. It just wasn’t about Brett Favre. In this day and time, we have glorified the Brett Favre’s of the world so much, they think it’s about them."

Tarkenton added part of him would like to the rumours of Favre signing on with Minnesota come to fruition.

"How would you like Ray Nitschke in his last year (playing for) the Vikings, or I retire, and go play for the Packers? I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail."

The New York Jets acquired Favre’s rights from the Packers during training camp last season but missed the playoffs after an 8-3 start.

Favre retired for a second time after the season in part because of a partially torn biceps in his throwing arm that continues to bother him.

"He told the Packers, ‘I’m retiring,’" Tarkenton said. "They’ve got to move on. They’ve got to go through their off-season plan, their workouts, they go with the other quarterback (Aaron Rodgers), who is a good player, and then (Favre) comes back and says, ‘I think I want to play.’ It’s about team. It’s not about Brett Favre.’"

Other Tarkenton observations on Favre:

On Favre’s disappointing season with the Jets:

"So he goes and runs up to the Jets, doesn’t even dress in the locker room with the players. Has a separate facility. Playing quarterback is about the relationships you have with your coaches, with your players, with your trainers, with your managers. How can you do that if you show up on game day and you haven’t put the time in. And now he’s trying to do it again in Minnesota. And if Minnesota bites, God bless them."

On what more the Packers could have done last year:

"They did everything, but you get into a position, and I understand he’s been glorified so much. He’s been a great player, there’s no question about it, but it’s all about him. It is supposed to be all about your team. If you’re going to be the quarterback of your team, you need to be there in the off-season workouts in March and April. Peyton Manning’s there. Tom Brady’s there."

On Favre’s style of play:

"I think he has been a great flamboyant quarterback, but he has made more stupid plays than any great quarterback that I’ve ever seen. Look at his final game in a Packers uniform (the NFC title game in the 2007 season). He blew that game against the Giants. He’s playing against Eli Manning. I love Eli Manning, but he’s still not a great quarterback. He’s not Peyton yet, or Tom Brady. He’s just a guy. And (the Packers) are playing at home, and they’re in a tight situation, they went to overtime and (Favre) throws the interception that allows (the Giants) to come back and win the game.

On whether the Vikings should sign Favre:

"He has driven his coaches crazy all of his career. But it’s team, is it not? I know (one of the hosts) is talking about, ‘I’d give him a shot,’ I think it would be terrible. (The Vikings are) are trying to put together a team all spring. They’ve been there, they’ve been bonding, they’ve been getting together. He hasn’t met the team, he hasn’t been there bonding, he hasn’t been part of that organization."

• 4 weeks later...