Jambands.ca

Billy Bob on Real Time with Bill Maher

I don't know if anyone else say this, but it was kinda funny.

bill maher introduces billy in the following manner (paraphrasing)

"One of our generations finest actors, Billy Bob has stared in a number of my favorite films, sling blade, bad santa, and the list goes on... he's also a musician, a real musian, this isn't just a hobby for him...please welcome bill bob thorton"

at which point, billy bob is comes out all smiles, has a friendly chat, and the two go into a short discussion about the "dj in canada" and how he was "justified for being mean to him".

Yeah, Bill Maher's usually really good and fairly hard hitting on his show but that was in a big theatre in front of a larger audience - I don't know if it made a difference- but he was really really softballing Billy Bob. And just right out sucking ass extensively about how good the Boxmasters are and how they have a lot of songs on his ipod which means they're good. It was fucking embarassing.

Phony? I don't know how bang on that is...crazy asshole? That probably fits better, with the case boiling down to how accepting we are of assholes at the time. Are we going to be Snooty, over-polite, restrained Canadians, or be able to humour someone enough to get past the point of asshole in a first impression and get the asshole past being an asshole so that our time isn't completely wasted?

Stating that a professional musician is 'passionate about music' is redundant and stupid. I would probably have handled it about the same as Billy Bob but would have tried to be a bit more inclusive and engaged Jian in some better discussion afterwards...so not really 'just about the same' for long, but for that split second when the 'what the fuck kind of question is that' thought pops in our head...definitely.

Jian Ghomeshi is a very nice guy (or sure plays the part well enough to have impressed me when I met him briefly a few years ago) and a great host, but he could have deflected it differently so we wouldn't have to hear about Billy Bob.

Talking to a musician/actor about his/her passion for someting ELSE than the actual reason for the interview in the first place...like a hobby or interest that wasn't really well known and would generate some better, multi-faceted dialogue - while cliche and fluffy - is probably a better approach.

Kudos to Jian for TRYING the overly obvious, subtly suprising, and ego-padding approach...but it didn't work and it's not really all that hard to see why.

If we really didn't care about Billy Bob Thornton, we wouldn't be talking about the guy again...would we?

How is this guy relevant?

Maybe I don't get it yet but I definitely prefer tropical punch.

my biggest complaint about the Bill Maher interview was how it degraded into two old fogies talking about how music was real music back in the good old days and how the music of today is nothing but crap and noise and solely for the commercial market.

my biggest fear is that I'm going to hold the same attitude when I'm in my 50s...

[color:purple]I don't call it rap music.. I call it CRAP music

Phony? I don't know how bang on that is...crazy asshole? That probably fits better, with the case boiling down to how accepting we are of assholes at the time. Are we going to be Snooty, over-polite, restrained Canadians, or be able to humour someone enough to get past the point of asshole in a first impression and get the asshole past being an asshole so that our time isn't completely wasted?

Stating that a professional musician is 'passionate about music' is redundant and stupid. I would probably have handled it about the same as Billy Bob but would have tried to be a bit more inclusive and engaged Jian in some better discussion afterwards...so not really 'just about the same' for long, but for that split second when the 'what the fuck kind of question is that' thought pops in our head...definitely.

Jian Ghomeshi is a very nice guy (or sure plays the part well enough to have impressed me when I met him briefly a few years ago) and a great host, but he could have deflected it differently so we wouldn't have to hear about Billy Bob.

Talking to a musician/actor about his/her passion for someting ELSE than the actual reason for the interview in the first place...like a hobby or interest that wasn't really well known and would generate some better, multi-faceted dialogue - while cliche and fluffy - is probably a better approach.

Kudos to Jian for TRYING the overly obvious, subtly suprising, and ego-padding approach...but it didn't work and it's not really all that hard to see why.

If we really didn't care about Billy Bob Thornton, we wouldn't be talking about the guy again...would we?

How is this guy relevant?

Maybe I don't get it yet but I definitely prefer tropical punch.

how can some one write so much, but make so little sense?

and i agree with ya pat on the whole dialogue about the good old days of music...bill did call billy out on being like "i don't know about 100....a hundred's a lot!"

my biggest complaint about the Bill Maher interview was how it degraded into two old fogies talking about how music was real music back in the good old days and how the music of today is nothing but crap and noise and solely for the commercial market.

Exactly. I literally had to turn it off at that point or I was gonna puke. That said I consistently see Real Time as the best weekly news magazine and punditry platform.

That said I consistently see Real Time as the best weekly news magazine and punditry platform.

It's a great show, I get the podcast and listen to it every week. It can get a bit one sided and preachy at times, but nothing is perfect. All in all it's usually a very entertaining hour.