Jambands.ca

Timmy's gets in a tangle!

meggo

darren won a ton of awesome camping gear one year on the roll up the rim. he feels that he earned more than 'won' it, but nonetheless!

The only real conspiracy is that the universe conspires to bring me many nice things.

I learned a valuable lesson through Timmy's that year, too. I'd waited too long to redeem my prize and was absolutely convinced that they would gleefully use the cut-off date as an excuse to not pay out. Convinced by others to just give it a shot, I submitted my claim. And, to their credit, they gave me the goods. Lesson: Just try. You are over-thinking this. What have you got to lose?

Pretty much any point of any day, I can stop myself and ask "Are you over-thinking this? What might happen if you just tried?"

Though I don't consider myself to be 'faster' about this than everybody, I have moved on while so many people cling to issues such as this. Perhaps that lends itself to making me look like a bigot or merely just uncompassionate for not taking the issue as seriously from the same direction...depending on one's perspective.

YT - I spent a little while considering this. In a certain way I think it is about all experiences being relative, and communication not being communication if it isn't received + understood + effective. Moving on sometimes necessitates taking others by the hand and leading them gently into where you have moved to. Worth pausing here to consider that nobody willingly moves into a place that doesn't feel safe. When in doubt, I defer to empathy. If I was that person, where they are, with their experiences to date, how might I interpret this [shout out the window, bucket of water, whatever]? If it seems like what I am trying to communicate, it is a go. If not .. it's not. Often I find that what (me) I meant is not what (shifting my identity into the other) I understood from the action.

(on that note, remind me sometime to tell you the story of d_rawk vs. the carpet cleaners .. a perfect example of forgetting to understand people where they are) At the risk of sounding flaky or vapid - choice is a function of awareness and the latter, then in turn the former, is equally happy to use as its fuel either the recognition of the validity of the experience of the other or the denial of it. Both take the same amount of effort, really, which isn't much effort at all.

Being bigger than a problem entails containing the problem within that bigness. It is important to access those places where it exists if you are going to do any meaningful work on it. You don't get to just dismiss it - if you doubt that, consider the very existence of this thread. The problem is tracking you. Hurt demands resolution. Other people *are* stuck here because it is their everyday experience. As compassionate people, I think we ought to diffuse that, even if that means the inconvenience of doing a mental audit about how our words or actions may feed into (or out of) that experience. Not because we should but because we can. What terrifying power we have to shape all of this.

This is where you say "That's what I am doing - acting past it, those words mean nothing" and you would be right .. if it was you talking to you, or if the world was composed of yous (<-- that is my unfortunate attempt at making 'you' plural). The sticky bit [pun again] is that you aren't, and it isn't, and instead you are bumping up against all sorts of people coming from all sorts of frames of reference. And that won't change.

(As another aside, I have decided that this is a world safe and comfortable for homosexuals. It will be so. And when it is, I will tease them about their faggyness ;) )

...and communication not being communication if it isn't received + understood + effective.

I am constantly making this point over here in Korea. People using "Konglish" think that their usage of certain words is correct, and I repeatedly have to tell them that it is not. They argue, "That is how we use/say/pronounce that word in Korea, and we are in Korea, so it is right and everyone understands it." I have to remind them that they are not learning English in order to speak with other Koreans, but with foreigners who do not use those words the same way.