Jambands.ca

RLOTD 10-23-03

Mr. Musicface

quote:

Originally posted by rubberdinghy:

Again...Why the Washers and dryers...or do I have to wait for home!

Well, really it's just a joke - the "official" explanation is that it's "because Rush goes for that warm, clean sound" but it's way, WAY funnier to hear a Flash animated version of Geddy Lee explain it to a small terrier, so I'd still recommend checking out the interview when you get home.

In truth, I think it's 'cus Alex has a row of amps behind him, and because Geddy doesn't use onstage amps for his bass rig, they wanted to stick something there as a staging thing so that it wouldn't look empty on his side. Someone probably said dryers as a joke, and it stuck. In the full show, there are roadies who run out during the show to change loads in the middle of the set. And I think at the first show I saw on the tour, they took t-shirts out of the dryer and threw them to the audience, although I might have dreamed that.

- M.

quote:

Originally posted by ahess6488:

...and I was a full-on supporter of yours until you detailed why they have a washer and dryer on stage. I now give rush as much love as I give the Arrogant Worms/Moxy Fruvous/Zany Bands that make Hulk Mad.

[Confused] hang on, hang on, so every band that has a goofy stage prop is immediately a joke band? Better stop listening to the Dead, Phish and just about any band you can ever think of then.

Come on ahess, you're gonna get upset 'cus of that? It's one goofy little staging joke, they're not suddenly writing songs about gay Eskimos or the King of Spain (BTW personally I don't mind those bands you named, but I understand where you are coming from.)

- M.

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

And what, pray tell, is wrong with the Police?

[Confused] Booche stay with the tour:

"King Of Spain" - Moxy Fruvous

"I'm The Only Gay Eskimo" - Corky And The Juice Pigs

(Sorry, couldn't think of an Arrogant Worms song off the top of my head.)

And for the record, I adore The Police. They're the second best trio that's been mentioned in this thread!!! [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

(Sorry, couldn't think of an Arrogant Worms song off the top of my head.)

You mean you couldn't think of Carrot Juice Is Murder?

quote:

Listen up brothers and sisters come hear my desperate tale

I speak of our friends of nature trapped in the dirt like a jail

Vegetables live in oppression, served on our tables each night

This killing of veggies is madness, I say we take up the fight

Salads are only for murderers, coleslaw's a fascist regime

Don't think that they don't have feelings, just cause a radish can't scream

Chorus:

I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream, scream, scream)

Watching their skins being peeled (having their insides revealed)

Grated and steamed with no mercy (burning off calories)

How do you think that feels (bet it hurts really bad)

Carrot juice constitutes murder (and that's a real crime)

Greenhouses prisons for slaves (let my vegetables go)

It's time to stop all this gardening (it's dirty as hell)

Let's call a spade a spade (is a spade is a spade is a spade)

I saw a man eating celery, so I beat him black and blue

If he ever touches a sprout again, I'll bite him clean in two

I'm a political prisoner, trapped in a windowless cage

Cause I stopped the slaughter of turnips by killing five men in a rage

I told the judge when he sentenced me, "This is my finest hour,

I'd kill those farmers again just to save one more cauliflower"

Chorus

How low as people do we dare to stoop,

Making young broccolis bleed in the soup?

Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes

Let potted plants free, don't mash that potato!

I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream, scream, scream)

Watching their skins being peeled (fates in the stir-fry are sealed)

Grated and steamed with no mercy (you fat gourmet slob)

How do you think that feels? (leave them out in the field)

Carrot juice constitutes murder (V8's genocide)

Greenhouses prisons for slaves (yes, your composts are graves)

It's time to stop all this gardening (take up macrame)

Let's call a spade a spade

(is a spade, is a spade, is a spade, is a spade......)

Aloha,

Brad

And furthermore, there's stage props and then there's "C'mon guys, I swear to God..this is funny..it really is". Rush falls into the latter.

And Musicface, knowing you are a fan of the creators of "Humble Pie" helps paint a picture of your musical stylings. Looks like puke on canvas.

quote:

Originally posted by ahess6488:

And furthermore, there's stage props and then there's "C'mon guys, I swear to God..this is funny..it really is". Rush falls into the latter.

Actually, I have to say this ahess, you're just wrong on this. The only time they ever draw attention to the dryers is in a weird little animation their website, and I'm sure that's just because they did get a bunch of questions about it during the tour, so they choose to address it in a joking way. Period, end of explanation. They didn't talk about them on the tour, they've never referred to them onstage, they just put them there and talked about them exactly once ever, anywhere. The stuff I said about them being used to fill in space onstage is just a guess on my part that makes sense to me based on their little joking explanation and what I personally observed. There is simply no way you could take this one silly thing and discount the band based on it.

Rush is about as un-self-conscious about their occasional staging gimmicks as a band could be, with the possible exception of Alex who does like to goof on certain things, like the classic video where Count Floyd introduces them. But Alex is the band clown, hell he was the guy who appeared on Trailer Park Boys so you have to give him credit for that! But like I said, there's no possible way you can go from a few little goofy stunts to argue those make them a total goofball band. Listen to any song for 30 seconds to remind yourself that these guys are among the most dedicated and technically capable rock musicians EVER, that's the real point. They wanna crack an occasional joke onstage, they should have the right 'cus they don't have anything to prove to anyone.

I want to be 100% clear - everyone else here who has said they don't like the band based on not liking Geddy's voice or some aspect of their playing or writing at least has a leg to stand on. Not liking them ONLY because of the dryers just makes about as much sense as saying "I don't like them 'cus I've heard them on the radio too many times." Maybe less.

quote:

And Musicface, knowing you are a fan of the creators of "Humble Pie" helps paint a picture of your musical stylings. Looks like puke on canvas.

Again, [Confused] - the only Humble Pie I know are the band that recorded "30 Days In The Hole". If you're referring to some song one of the bands I referred to in my post does, I don't know it. The ones I mentioned are among the few songs I know by those bands. (Well I know more Moxy songs but I was a university student in the early 90s so it was pretty hard to avoid.) Anyway I'm not a big fan, I just said I didn't mind them as much as you obviously do, but I also said I understood your attitude on that. But your sudden turnaround on the Rush thing totally perplexes me, sorry.

Cheers man,

- M.

Sorry, I should revise my statement:

"They wanna crack an occasional joke onstage, they should have the right 'cus they don't have anything to prove to anyone who would recognize musical talent if it came over and slapped them repeatedly across their ugly, smug, 'I have a government job so I don't actually need to have any skills or intelligence whatsoever' face."

That work for ya there Suxie?

- M.

Archived