Jambands.ca

Boat cruise w/ Particle & DJ Harry

weezy

Ya, went on a boat cruise around Vancouver's waterfront last night with Particle, Mr. Rosewater and DJ Harry. DJ Harry has recently gained some noteriety by re-mixing String Cheese Incedent music into mellow house grooves - danceable yet soothing... He's also a cool guy (he blocked the wind for us so we could light a joint) I was more excited, however, about seeing Particle perform their first Canadian show. (as far as I know)

They were very reminicent of The New Deal and STS9 ie: slammin' drummer kickin' house/disco beats all night. The main difference, though was that they had a rippin' guitarist - he was really good, but I was expecting 2 of them. If you listen to their demo songs on the website ( www.particlepeople.com ) it is definately 2 different guitarists - I was a little disappointed by this. Also, after a while, the disco/house beat thing gets a little stale - variation would have been more interesting.

The crowd was an eclectic mixture of dance music fans and dirty-hippy jam band fans. A sign of the times in this scene, I guess.... butt, in the end, it was all about SHAKIN' BOOTY.

I saw about 3 minutes of Mr. Rosewater - they sounded alright, I guess... (how's that for a review?)

I'm off to see Green Room tonight - some solid Canadian FUNK

Cheers....

cool.gif" border="0

I love Particle! Great party band it seems. I haven't seen them yet, but they are definitly on my list to go to. I saw DJ Harry in Vegas after SCI earlier this year, and he was pretty cool, busting grooves all over the place!

How long was the boat ride? How long did Particle play for?

Did they come out in red jumsuits or anything?

How much did it cost?

It cost $40 - cruised from 9pm til' 1:30am or so (I think - bit fuzzy at that point) They didn't dress-up or anything but the bass player was wearing one of those Scottish hats with the pom-pom on top (kinda like fat bastard in Austin Powers) It looked pretty hilarious.

Particle played off of DJ Harry's beats - like The New Deal does - and they played for the entire cruise - 4+ hours! not too shabby.

I recorded it stealth-like with my MD recorder - it came out sounding pretty good - It also helps fill-in those blackout gaps in my night... After listening to it again - I'm more impressed with the band - they can really go-off. The first song is about 35 minutes long - and I'm pretty sure they went back into it an hour later...

Ya, we're lucky to have Upstream out here for sure. They have brought bands like Galactic, Disco Biscuits, Comotion, Zen Tricksters blah blah blah.... They rock.

Wow, it's like magic how you get those set-lists, Bouche... Thanks!

I think the boat cruise idea came from the fact that the guys in Particle all met while jamming on a boat cruise after a Phish show in L.A. or something... (it says in their bio)

I haven't had any luck trying to find any other Particle mp3's. They did have a demo for sale at the show, but I was too drunk to be shopping.........damn.