Jambands.ca

Question of the Day 10-27-02

AD

So I'm new to this question thing, and please excuse the fact that I posted this a day early, but it's been a long weekend and I'm going to bed...

Now for the question:

When was the moment that you knew Phish / Dead / others were the band for you? What were you doing? How did you know?

I'll get the ball rolling on this one...

I had heard plenty of Phish shows through tape-trading. My phirst B+P was for 8-20-93 Red Rocks and 3-13-92 Rhode Island. Both kick-ass shows that I still count as some of my favourites. But, as soon as I got the FMs of the Went, day two, set two, the DwD-->Gin I just knew that they were it . This is still my favourite half-hour plus of music. The Gin Jam is just incredible, with the whole band showing so much patience and timing until all the pieces were in place so they could blow the roof off that stage in the middle of nowhere.

So let's hear your stories now...

ad

Good question Alan!!

For me, with the Dead.. it was the minute i walked into the building 3.22.90 and saw all the beautiful people spinning and dancing in the halls... we arrived just after the first song started and i was in awe of what was going on around me all night.. talk about culture shock... the Scarlet>Fire from this show kinda put me over the edge and i was completely sober...

As for Phish , I was trading for shows in 94 wonering what was with all the Phish stickers in the Dead lots... i believ my phirst tapes were 12.31.92 which i still love to this day and would love a soundboard copy on cd if anyone has it... i got completely "Hooked" at my phirst show the minute they blew my mind with a killer Split Open... what moments that 12.7.95 Niagara Falls show has for me... openning with old home place to the unbelieveably Mikes

Have you ever seen Clockwork Orange?

Just kidding...My love for this type of music came from the nero boys, who took me to my first Phish show on my birthday in Tdot July 6th 2000...You see I am a rookie...and I still love Ricky Martin too...

I should give props to the gf she orchestrated it all, as well as the rest of the gang too!!!

thank god for those crazy hippies across the hall in college!

they introduced me to the dead, and then we all heard of this "fish" band, and listened to 4-16-94 and a live one a few times before hitting the clifford ball....hooked.

That show made me feel like i was let in on this big secret that everyone already knew....i can't really explain it, but the whole scene, the music, everything...it was just an incredible experence.

For Phish, it was about four bars into the "Rift" opener from 07-05-94. I'd heard about Phish in the Bela Fleck and Zappa newsgroups, and when I heard they were coming to Ottawa, decided to check them out.

I made a posting to rec.music.phish the next day which describes things better than I can now.

Since then, I've seen a lot that says this was a special show. It's got a great "Esther", a "Letter to Jimmy Page", a great a capella set, and a 23-minute YEM. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have seen the show at all, let alone have it be my first show and first exposure at all to Phish.

As to the Dead, it came on much more gradually. I'd had "Deadicated" for several years, and liked it a lot (OK, except for the Jane's Addiction version of "Ripple" [Mad] ), decided to take the plunge and get "Live/Dead". Usually, when I buy a new record, I listen to it all the way through without playing (guitar) along with it, to try and experience it as a listener, rather than a musician. Once "Dark Star" started up, though, that rule went out the window, and I was in A mixolydian for the next several 10s of minutes.

It really sank in one night, though, when I put on Disc 1 of Dick's Picks 12 and started playing along. Until then, I had never really figured out how to play along with Jerry, but this session, it clicked for me, right from the opening jam.

Aloha,

Brad