Jambands.ca

Low/Rheos/Steelie/Harmer Apr 12@TO City Hall

Mr. Musicface

Just got this in my mail this morning from Lowest of The Lows management (via a friend of a friend). I'd definitely recommend this for anyone who's coming into town early to check out Bela that night - hey, I always say there's no better price than FREE, especially when it's free AND it's for peace! [big Grin]

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

It's a time of upheaval in the world right now, and artists are finding creative ways to use their art to protest the current war on Iraq. The Lowest of the Low are no exception and will be taking part in an all day event in Toronto at Nathan Phillips Square on Saturday April 12th, between 1pm and 11pm. Also confirmed for the show are Sarah Harmer, the Rheostatics, King Cobb Steelie, and more. This is a free event that will bring together all types of artists - visual artists, guerilla theatre troupes, filmmakers, writers, actors, spoken word artists, poets, DJs and more - all raising their voices in opposition to the war happening in Iraq. Please come down and show your support for this worthwhile event. In conjunction with the event, Artists Against War (the collective staging the event) will be releasing a limited run CD with some great Canadian artists on it. More details are available through artists_against_war@yahoo.ca and

To help disseminate information about current world events, we have added what we feel are worthwhile links to websites that give you the news CNN won't. Please check them out and feel free to forward them to others.

Be safe out there - let's hope that this war comes to an end soon.

Cheers,

Linda

--

Linda Woods

Management

The Lowest of the Low, Stephen Stanley

- coming soon!

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

wow it's like 1995 was ressurected for Peace...cool.

Heh, yeh I was thinking 1992-94 actually, I remember seeing all of those bands (minus Harmer) in and around various frosh week activities back in my Ryerson days.

I have a vivid memory of walking into the quad and seeing the Rheos for the first time - my very first impression of them ever was Dave Clark at the front of the stage in nothing but his underwear telling some story about his day: "this morning I got up, and put on my pants..."

Later they went into their version of Edmund Fitzgerald, and I remember thinking "who the hell are these guys?!?" Good times. [smile]

Peace,

Mr. M.

This is from Lowest Of The Low's website:

As Ron Hawkins announced yesterday when he spoke at the protest against the war, the Lowest of the Low will be playing an Artists Against the War festival at Nathan Phillips Square.

Also confirmed are the Rheostatics, women ah run tings, Winston Paddy, DJs Denise Benson, Billy Bryans, and Zahra.

In addition, there will be acts running all day with local djs, bands, spoken word artists, videos and others. Spoken word artist Robert Priest, singer-songwriter Evalyn Parry and ambient funk bank Vibe Rider are among the artists who have been confirmed to perform. Nathan Phillips Square itself will be filled with art installations by local anti-war artists, along with tables for political groups, cultural associations and human rights organizations.

The event is being organized by Artists Against the War, a newly created organization launched after the circulation of an open call at the beginning of March. The first meeting, built entirely by word of mouth and e-mail drew nearly 80 people. Already there have been a number of successful efforts by artists around the world to use their talents to raise opposition to this war - such as the Lysistrata Project. AAW is an attempt to bring those efforts together.

This is a free event, designed to raise awareness and create solidarity among the artist community. Come out and show your support.

More acts will be announced as they are confirmed.

Archived