Jambands.ca

Taksi

purple foot

Saw this new band in a new venue last night coincidently named The venue. looks like a great new place in calgary to check out shows. they promised lots of live music and the place is pretty much set up for live tunes. big ole, stage with lots of room to boogie up front.

Taksi opened up for blue quarter. taksi being the keyboard player and guitarest from recipe duoing with a new bass player and drummer. Having seen recipe numerous times I knew what to expect but this was better than any recipe show. They stuck to more of a free form jazz style which fit well into the psychedelic imagery being broadcast onto the venue's walls. Fletcher and jayson took turns soloing off each other that reminded me of MMW. The keyboardest went OFF on numerous occasions and is probably the best keyboard player in calgary that i've seen. The bass player layed down solid grooves but didn't stray too much away while the drummer was great. He towered over a small jazz kit and didn't try to overpower us and let the music determine the beats. all and all a great opener and looking forward to seeing them again.

Blue quarter on the other hand needs a new stick. I've seen them a few times and they havn't strayed from their pyshco trans disco groove too much and the crowd grew bored. C-towns made an early exit to re-interate this point. for anyone who doesn't know, they go with a bass player, drummer and a dude who plays a chapman stick. which is great the first time you see it but gets old quick. think the new deal but not as good. the chapman stick player tried to incorporate a fretless bass to compliment the other bass player and a keyboard but these instruments didn't live up to the crazy sounds of a chapman stick. Essentially the beats were the same throughout the whole night. The drummer is TIGHT but it just gets old. Also the people that did stay had a great time but you could see interest waning as the bump chick bump chick sss sss went on. Hopefully they start jamming with a guitar or throw some vox in there or else I can't see myself attending anmymore blue quarter shows. that is all for now. comments??

Yep, that pretty much covers it. Cool new venue for sure...id go back there for a show anytime and hopefully it will happen more often. If you're in a band and come play in Calgary, don't over look this spot!!

Taksi is pretty f'n cool. had never heard them before but now i want more. Blue Quarter, I agree with those comment, though it didn't stop me from flailing around most of the night...good times, good times.