Jambands.ca

Slip (aliveaudio) Trading policy

bouche

I was just visiting aliveaudio.net and came across the 'personal enjoyment' trading policy for The Slip recordings they have for sale.

I really like how they put the policy together.

"Trading here means just that: a one-for-one exchange of musical recordings. Making copies for yourself and your friends is fine, as well as "blanks and postage" since that involves some contribution and at least a human interaction. Using your ISPs bandwidth does not count as a trade, nor does it qualify as making a contribution. Hosting the music on a website, file sharing programs, or any other process that allows for someone to anonymously take the music without making some real contribution violates the spirit and intention of "trading" and therefore should not take place with these recordings. However, should a technology be developed that allows two people to arrange a digital one-for-one trade, the use of such technology would be acceptable under this policy. "

The rest of it is here.

"However, should a technology be developed that allows two people to arrange a digital one-for-one trade, the use of such technology would be acceptable under this policy. "

for example, an ftp server, where one can download a show from someone, and upload one to him in return?

That's what they seem to be talking about.

BTW, I am trying to find that slip ftp you gave me. Disc on of 3-27-03 is blank. I must have been drunk when I so-called 'burned' that disc.

I was listening to disc 3 of that show in the car today, and heard Brad riffing on "No Suprises" by Radiohead. Very sweet.

...then he takes that into a KICKASS Built to Spill cover of Else... i fuckin love that transition from soft machine>no surprises>else... fuck... makes the show for me! (i think its disc 2, though)... if im not mistaken, disc 3 of that show features a sweet Weight of Solomon>sesame st... man, they're the best band...

i'll send you the info again..