Jambands.ca

Go see DJ VADIM in Ottawa! (or Quebec)

DevO

I checked out DJ Vadim & the Russian Percussion (Ninja Tune) last night in Peterborough and this show was AWESOME!!! It's DJ Vadim and DJ First Rate (of Scratch Perverts, one of the DMC Champions) spinning together side by side. These are some of the best scratch dj's out there and they put on an amazing show! The music was generally jazzy hip hop and heavy funk breaks and some reggae (sean paul sorta stuff). 2 dj's on at once, scratching away and changing records every 2 seconds. DJ First Rate declared himself the Jimi Hendrix of dj's and was scratching on this turntable which he stuck on top of his head, and he was playing the mixer thingy with his teeth, all at the same time! The whole crowd was dancing and right into it. Also they had this girl who was an MC with them and she did a few songs - great voice with thoughtful, funny lyrics. I think she's married to Vadim. They were all really nice too.

I almost went to Toronto to see 'em again tonight - long story but I ended up not going.

ANyhoo, you should DEFINITELY check this show out! They're playing in Ottawa at Babylon on Friday. Please go!!! [smile]

They're also in Montreal on Saturday.. Last show of their ~65 show North American tour!

Guest Low Roller

I want to, because Ninja Tune never fails to impress me. But my week-end schedule has me in Montreal tonight, and Ottawa tomorrow night, meaning I'll miss both shows by a day in each city! [Frown]

Guest Low Roller

You should go Davey-Boy. DJ Vadim is on a label called Ninja Tune, which specializes in jazzier DJs. I've always left impressed when seeing a Ninja Tune show.

Im about 90/10 on going. Just gotta get my shit together (and take a serious look at my finances - might be a "snoot it up" night at Babylon).

Thx for the heads up Kev-O, I was probably gonna go anyway but you're giving me the push I need. Anyone else in Ottawa thats curious theres a pretty good write up on DJ Vadim in yesterdays newspaper.

i need to second that reccommendation. vadim and first rate were here in vic a few weeks ago, and i heard they were just amazing. i've been checking out the DJ scene here, just for the past few months, and i've been enjoying it quite a bit, as long as it's good music right? take a risk and check it out! [Wink]

Archived