Jambands.ca

NoOrchestra & SingThatYellThatSpell

noOrch

Really intense, crazy energy from both bands.

definately! both were really great.. always good to get turned on to new bands, and i cant wait to see these ones again soon.

for people who havent seen them, DO SO!!!

No Orchestra was great, but STYTS really blew me away. i'd say that both bands are similar in style, as is each members approach to their instrument, or role in the sound, but i found with STYTS i didnt have to listen for anyone in particular, all the sounds were right there in front of me, and it made sense.

these guys (styts) are a hard sound to describe, but i'll do my best for those who dont know them... umm, try to imagine some really thick bass riffing, interesting jazzy instrumentation on the guitar, and a drummer who kept me wincing and holding my gut (fu©k yeah!), bridging the gap between the 2 other players, but definately not afraid to stray and lose himself in it as well. it seemed to me that the bass and guitar were constantly doing there own thing, as it made sense to the whole. but like i said, i didnt have to listen for anyone in particular, it was all right there, and super tight. for those who are wondering "well, who do they sound like?" . no one. they sound like SingThatYellThatSpell. but if you were to put them in a category with other bands, as a frame of reference, i'd say start with the idea of domakesaythink, add the intensity of manitoba (without the electronica), take the style of the slip's jazzy riffings, with the pyschadelic noodlings from your favourite dead era (the essense is still the same: fu©k up the mind), and top it off with that classic indie crunch. tasty stuff.

No Orchestra i found to be similar, but not as "out there". very tight band, some heavy jazz kinda guitar style playing, but with a bass seemingly more concentrated on keeping the sound together, rather than letting it wander. the drumming was fantastic.. capable of keeping it together or going off with the rest of the guys, or on his own, at any given point... also some vocals, which, for me didnt take anything away from the sound, but didnt add to it either. that being said, generally, im pretty indifferent to vocals in these types of bands, unless the vocals are almost an instrument in their own right.

all in all, great stuff! it's awesome to hear this kinda music in the backyard... looking forward to next time!