Jambands.ca

Freefest a freakin' good time

crank

highlights include

ALL bands listed played, and uncle seth members actually lasted there all day staying somehow straight enough to deliver great music

way to go Rob and Rob and Cheryl - what great hosts and they didn't get uptight about ANYTHING as far as I could see, and we were all definitely in irresponsible party mode

-them cornfields got a good earful if you know what I mean.

SOME jammers managed to do both - come out, imbibe, hang for quite a while AND make the stag - amazing

television coverage at 5 and 11 brought some CRAZY folks in...

what a day and what a venue

Thanks to all you musicians!!!!!!!!!!! [color:"black"]

The bands were excellent, especially Uncle Seth. They have a wonderful vibe and a great singer. The Real Gone Daddies were cool too. They have supremely talented guitarists and a great sense of timing with lots of stops and unexpected extra beats that work well in the mix. Speaking about the mix, despite the fact that the amps were live off the stage (except for the vocals), from where I was sitting, the levels were perfect. I could hear everything clearly.

Steve

Hey thanks for the praise for Uncle Seth Steve! I want to say for all the guys in Uncle Seth that we TOTALLY dug Buterflies & Zebras as well. Sorry we had to take off before you finished, although for what it's worth I had said to the others in the band "hey I wanna stay for a least a bit of these guys, if they're boring we'll leave", and then once you guys started we stayed for almost an hour and we finally said "well hell we'd better go" but you guys certainly were NOT boring by any stretch! I was totally digging the projection thing and you guys were getting some amazing sounds. I really hope to see you again sometime.

Real Gone Daddies were also excellent, it kicked our asses to have to follow those guys 'cus they are obviously killer musicans as well. I agree the mix was generally pretty good, although I would have liked to hear a bit more of the guitarists in this band.

There were a number of other things that caught my ear during the day, although frankly I can't remember the names of a lot of the bands. We did meet some great folks and had a great time! HUGE thanks once again to Rob for setting up the whole deal - amazing job man!!!

Peace,

Mr. M.

uncle seth members actually lasted there all day staying somehow straight enough to deliver great music

In fairness, the real strategy (which seemed to work) was to stay all day so we could be there long enough to GET straight again by the end! :P;)

(And for the record, if anyone's interested the 7.7% Danish Faxe Festbock won out over the 7.0% Holstein Festbock as the new Mr. Musicface Festival Can 'o Choice. Stronger and tastier, that's what you want when you're working with limited space people!)

- M.

I just want to make a big public thank you to all of the bands and musicians who played ... sorry I couldn't provide more of an audience, but you all played beautifully. It was my first time seeing Real Gone Daddies , you were really amazing, sorry about the schedule delays but all is well that ends well. B&Z were brilliant as ever and it was a wonderful set from The Music Never Stopped. Musicface, tell Patrick I thought he played beautifully and I hope he got his guitar fixed in time for his gig the next evening, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for the next time he plays. Iron man award of the day goes to Graham Fairlea of Mandrake Root and No Buds For Bob who played back to back sets with his bands, both of whom played wonderfully and really entertained the crowd ... mad phat props to Terry Calder as well who also played twice that day with Real Gone Daddies and TMNS, as well as graciously letting Uncle Seth use his drum kit. Iron team award goes to the great folks from Uncle Seth, who came from a gig the previous evening in Windsor, stayed for almost the entire day and then had a gig the next day in Hamilton. I really appreciate the effort you guys put in, it was awesome hanging with all of you and you played wonderfully ... The Cloud Song was, as I said, the official Ottawa Free Music Fest theme song. Fun young band I saw for the first time was Big Smile (the band mistakenly listed as Jordan) ... cool originals, alternative rock covers from the Tragically Hip and Stone Temple Pilots as well as blues classics like Hoochie Coochie Man and Sweet Home Chicago, played with talent and gusto ... their lead singer kindly offered to play any other events that I might put together, which was sweet of him even though I don't think I will ever do this again. Thanks to everyone who came out, it was a blast.

RnB

Guest Low Roller

Sorry I couldn't make it out to this, but scheduling-wise there really was no way, and something had to give. I'm happy to hear that everything worked out well! Any pictures forthcoming?