Jambands.ca

WWOOF'in

DevO

Has anyone here ever got into WWOOFing? I'm heading East soon with little money and lots of time, and this seems like a great option for me. Just wondering if anyone could share good/bad experiences. Check out the WWOOF Canada website. This Newfoundland listing sounds pretty good:

Birchy Bay Farm is situated on 140 acres in Notre Dame Bay and is a year round operation. The farm is a mixed operation with organic vegetables, wild berries, herbs, greenhouses and livestock, consisting mainly of hogs and poultry. It is developing strategies to become self-sufficient in energy production, livestock feeds and compost production. The farm has its own market on site and restaurant and market off site. Newfoundland has a lot to offer WWOOFers in the way of whale watching, sea kayaking, icebergs, wildlife, hiking and exploring the natural beauty of the island.

Our wilderness homestead is accessible by boat and/or a two-mile walking trail. This season’s focus lies mainly with the continued construction of our passive-solar, round log home. Comradeship & assistance welcomed until October. Activities beyond work are varied & numerous. Please note, as it’s a remote, off-grid location, writing or calling ahead of time can make for a far simpler logistical liaison. Wild game & seafood supplements our largely vegetarian diets. Challenge yourselves & join the ranks of the select few who’ve ventured this far off the main drag. This is legitimate out port living at it’s most quintessential.

People have really mixed experiences in particular women. I have heard some horror stories actually a number of which were in the maritimes I believe about girls having someone come in their room at night or turning their doorknob. Creepy. I think it's a case by case person by person thing though.