Jambands.ca

Beta Band Calls It Quits

TimmyB

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. August 02, 2004, 4:00 PM ET

Beta Band Calls It Quits

Eclectic U.K. rock act the Beta Band will split before year's end, according to its official Web site. The group in May released its latest Parlophone/Astralwerks album "Heroes to Zeroes," which debuted at No. 18 on the U.K. album chart and No. 10 on Billboard's Top Heatseekers tally.

"Sadly, eight years of hard work and critical acclaim but little return in terms of commercial success inevitably takes its toll and a group decision was made to finally lay the band to rest," the site says.

Group members Steve Mason and Richard Greentree are at work on solo albums, while John Maclean will keep "his foot in the musical door" while also pursuing opportunities in film. "The same can be said for Robin [Jones], who'll also divide his time between his twin loves, film and music," the site says.

The band is planning a final U.K. tour this fall, with dates to be announced. Beforehand, a handful of summer festivals remain, beginning Aug. 13 at France's La Route du Rock and wrapping Aug. 24 at Edinburgh's T on the Fringe event.

Parlophone is also eyeing a 2005 release for a comprehensive DVD featuring music videos and film clips.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

I love the Beta Band and will be sad to see them go, but like Phish, I wouldn't want any group continue if they didn't want to do so. I luckily saw them perform once at the Molson Park opening for Radiohead in 2001. It was a great gig, and I only wish I saw the Beta Band more.

I got into them after seeing the film 'High Fidelity' in the theatre where John Cusack's charactor said "I will now sell five copies of 'The Three EP's' by the Beta Band." at his record store. I went home and bought the album, and it was amazing.

Sad news indeed. The Beta Band is one of the best bands to come around in the last 5 years or so.

I think their compilation album 3 E.P.'s is must own. Their second album release, Hot Shots II, is almost as good and gets better with repeat listens. Their new album Heroes To Zeros feels like a mix of both 3 E.P.'s and Hot Shots, and has real memorable highs.

Thanks Tim for ruining my week.