Jambands.ca

PHISH PLAYED LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!

Hux

hey - I love Elton John! He also lashed out at Madonna a week or so ago for her being considered for some award for "Live Music Performer Of The Year: or such like. He pointed out that lip-synching cannot be considered live music. He then added that while he probably isn't on Madonna's Christmas card list anymore, he really doesn't care. He was bitching about Keith Richards a few years ago too, to my delight.

Ever see the movie about him, "Tantrums and Tiaras"? Freaky, but awesome.

He really has become the Olde Queen Bitch. Good for him. He used to have naked men parachute into his garden parties. Again, good for him. You would if you could, too.

And seriosuly, check out his albums from his 2nd self-titled lp through the mid-1970's - some really quality material and playing in there.

I was an Elton fan. He really hasn't done a good album since 1975. He " Jumped The Shark " with that brutal Rock Of The Westies album from 1975. Island Girl is a brutal song. He hasn't done anything good since 1975's Captain Fantastic album, but fortunately, he was very prolific, influential and creative until that point.

He was prolific after 1975, but his sound and songs changed for the worse.

To quote Sylvia Plath 'Two, of course there are two'. Robert Hunter/ Jerry Garcia, Taupin/ John, Chris/ Kate, Gene/Dene, Hall/ Oates. I really believe that the duo may be the ultimate pop format. Something happens when two people, no more no less, form a deep bond and express it through music.

People totally overlook Bernie Taupin as well. Elton would be NOTHING without Bernie. Elton is an interpreter of Bernie's songs and couldn't hack out a tune to save his life.

Bernie Taupin was the lyricist while Elton John wrote the music. They had much the same relationship as Hunter/Garcia. Elton could hack out a tune, it's just the lyrics wouldn't be so great that's all.

from www.rollingstone.com

Elton Rocks the Osbournes

John puts the stars on their feet at the Beverly Hills mansion

"Be fabulous," the invitation instructed on the topic of dress. Elton John, the guest of honor and performer at "An Evening at Home With the Osbournes," always dresses with fabulous in mind, and he arrived Thursday night in a black suit with a zipper stretching across the back and down the left sleeve. The crowd also obliged. For men, it meant suits without ties; for women, it meant colorful outfits accented with major cleavage.

About 250 people showed up, walking up the flower-lined stairs of the iconic Osbournes' Beverly Hills home -- made famous by the MTV reality show -- each paying $2,500 to benefit John's AIDS foundation and Sharon Osbourne's Colon Cancer Program at nearby Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

All the Osbournes were present and mingling: Kelly's strapless black dress revealing angel wing tattoos on her shoulder blades, Jack opting for a more conservative look in suit and tie, and Ozzy sporting black tie with tails. Sharon Osbourne, elegantly dressed in black with spiky, magenta hair, came up onstage to introduce the evening and the entertainment. "You're stuck with me and a couple of my friends," she said. "I hope tonight will educate and entertain you."

The educational portion of the evening featured a speaker on colon cancer as well as a video on AIDS orphans: a heartbreaking story about two children in South Africa who represent just a tiny fraction of the 14 million children worldwide orphaned by the disease.

Osbourne returned to the small stage, set up in front of the guest house, to introduce the entertainment portion of the night. "The best, the legendary Elton John!" she announced. "I want to see you on your feet!"

Sir Elton has been in the news quite a bit lately -- less for his music than his profanity-laced tirades against the press and Madonna. So it was nice to see him doing what he does best: performing music, this time beneath stately palm trees in the backyard of the Osbourne mansion. Backed by a band featuring drummer Nigel Olsson and guitarist Davey Johnstone -- who have been with him longer than his current hair -- John rocked through a stripped-down set.

John opened the show with oldies including a rollicking "The Bitch Is Back" and an impassioned, solo piano rendition of "Your Song." Then, shifting gears, he said, "We're gonna do something new: you might as well be the guinea pigs for it," introducing "Answer in the Sky," a tune from his forthcoming album, Peach Tree Road. The new number, a classic John power ballad, generated a clap-along response from the crowd. Another new song, "All That I'm Allowed," showed gospel influences. The band was predictably tight and John was in strong form and voice, seated at his keyboard and pounding out two-fisted rhythms.

"When we did this event last year," John said in a serious moment, "Sharon was ill and had to watch from her bedroom upstairs. I was frightened, but she survived. It's a lesson to all of us. I dedicate this next song to her," he continued, launching into "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word." Sharon stood, arms around a seated Ozzy, watching the show. John then closed with a raucous "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)," and he had the whole crowd up and dancing by the end.

The moneyed attendees -- who included 'N Sync's Lance Bass, Quincy Jones, Robin Williams and Jennifer Love Hewitt -- sipped bubbly from Perrier Jouet and dined on miso-cured Alaskan butterfish and five-spice sirloin steak from Asia de Cuba, the trendy fusion restaurant just a few blocks away on the Sunset Strip. Will & Grace's Eric McCormack and Megan Mullally led a live auction, including the sale of an Aston Martin DB 9, purchased by Bass for $220,000. An estimated $1 million was raised by evening's end, to be split between the two charities.

CHRIS RUBIN

(Posted Oct 08, 2004)