Jambands.ca

"SARS gives Toronto a little Zippity Zing"

Basher

I watched this last night - it was highlarious!

The Daily Show Announces: "SARS gives Toronto a little Zippity Zing"

Comedy Series Lampoons Mayor Mel Lastman

TORONTO, April 25 /CNW/ - In a report entitled "SARS Attacks!," TV news-magazine parody The Daily Show With Jon Stewart satirically commented on the SARS situation in Toronto during last night's broadcast on The Comedy Network.

Host Jon Stewart conducted an interview with The Daily Show's "Senior Viral Analyst" Dr. Stephen Colbert on location in Toronto. The following are selected segments from the report:

Stewart: Are the people there going to panic?

Colbert: Hard to tell Jon, Torontonians are an incredibly reserved people living in a crushingly dull place. Panic? I'm not sure they're awake!

Stewart: Is there any concern that this is a public health crisis?

Colbert: Toronto is surgically sterile by comparison (to New York City). It's like reporting from the inside of an autoclave. I say bring on the SARS. An epidemic might give this place a little zippity zing.

Stewart: In your mind, there is no reason for concern?

Colbert: There is some reason for concern. If you are in Toronto, if you're in your 80s and you've had a history of respiratory problems, I'd make my peace with the lord before I licked any door handles. But short of that, in Toronto, not much to worry about, or DO for that matter.

Jon Stewart also commented on Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman's appearance on CNN this week. After running Lastman's CNN clip, Stewart commented: "You know, I was thinking of going to Toronto, but I've heard the mayor is kind of a dick. By the way, for more information on Toronto, pick up a copy of the mayor's new city guide, Toronto: What the Hell?"

Archived