Jambands.ca

Anyone Been To Mississippi?

Jaimoe

I just read a good article in the Toronto Sun about delta blues trips to, and tours of Clarksdale and Greenwood Mississippi - the cradle of blues.

Has anyone been to Clarksdale ( they have the official Delta Blues museum there ) and if so, should I go? I really want to go and I'm curious about the area and the towns.

Yes I have been to Mississippi. Would you only go to Clarksdale and Greenwood? What would be the plan? How long would you go for etc? What else are you close to? What are the accomidations?

mmm... would those be the only places that you would go to? :

I think I'd stay in Memphis, then travel to Clarksdale and Greenwood for a few days. I want to explore the delta blues region and the delta highway.

They offer delta blues tours, which include seeing the crossroads where Robert Johnson " sold his soul " and you get to see Robert Johnson's grave etc...

Clarksdale was the home of Robert Johnson, Lightning Hopkins and other great originators of the delta blues, hence my interest. Morgan Freeman has a blues club in Clarksdale too.

Basically I'm wondering if Clarksdale is safe to visit, specifically overnight. I know the deep south is dirt poor with 150 years of ingrained racism, but I can't resist the delta.

i've never been to clarksdale but i've been to missi. and i would say it's safe as any other part of america.

the trip sound's very cool. if was you and know where these places where, i would just rent a car and drive there myself. this way i could move at my own rate and really talk to the people, and meet the really southaner.

the people are extra kind...and the women are all sweat & nice...i love the south but it's all alittle scary,,,just diferant.

othere cool town in the south atr Ashville NC, right in the smokie's. Austin TX, Nashville TN,