Jambands.ca

stickin it to the RIAA

paisley

Haha,really.If all he can afford is a needle then please buddy,let someone else do this.

many of which are old enough as to be public domain

Now,is the guy really stickin it to the RIAA when the music is public domain? If he is,then am I to assume he will profit from doing this,if he does then he's really stickin it to the artist in my opinion.

After reading the newer posts on that site,I see someone else sees this the same as me.

Out of 30,000 or so records, they’re probably quite a few that aren’t public domain. Without knowing the era of the collection it’s hard to say, but there may be quite a few valuable, but readily available records. Meaning the original pressing of the recording is quite valuable (like, say, an original Robert Johnson 78 of Terraplane Blues), but the recordings are easily available elsewhere. Sell these collectible records, and you might be able to put together a budget for archiving the obscure ones.

And if this guy is serious about archiving, he really should get a record cleaning machine, like a VPI or Nitty Gritty. This will make a world of difference is playback quality.

actually a joke post, didn't think anyone would actually take it seriously

Well the guy himself is and so are the folks posting on the site,this guy is sounding like he will be doing a dis service to the music in my opinion.This is a prime example of why the RIAA and record companies are stickin to us CDR users by jacking the prices and charging folks for having a music collection.

I really didn't get how it was a joke post,but ok.I was just trying to discuss this topic since I also transfer out of circulation albums (viynl)or public domain to CD and the depressing factor is that there are folks out there that do this and don't care at all about quality.

Not really if he is using inferior equipment,actually in my opinion its a disservice.

This is for the USA,not 100% on Canada,I imagine its not to different.

Music and lyrics written by an American author and published in 1922 or earlier are in the Public Domain in the United States. No one can claim ownership of a song in the public domain, therefore public domain songs may be used by everyone. PD songs may be used for profit-making without paying any royalties. If you create a new version or derivative of a public domain song, you can copyright your version and no one can use it without your permission. However, the song remains in the public domain, and anyone else can also make and copyright their own version of the same PD song

http://www.pdinfo.com/

I'm sure there is better info out there,but this was the site I have book marked.

just thinkin I got about 5 metres high of an album stack in the basement... gotta be a few things that'd be worth converting and putting up on an anonymous ftp sometime if its on the legal

far as buddy there goes since the post originally appeared on boing boing this morning bet he ends up with a nice turntable (more likely a garage full of them)

according to wikopedia :

Copyrights are more complex; generally, they expire in all countries except Guatemala, Mexico, Samoa and Colombia when all of the following conditions are satisfied:

The work was created and first published before January 1, 1923, or at least 95 years before January 1 of the current year, whichever is later.

The last surviving author died at least 70 years before January 1 of the current year.

No Berne Convention signatory has passed a perpetual copyright on the work.

Neither the United States nor the European Union has passed a copyright term extension since these conditions were last updated. (This must be a condition because the exact numbers in the other conditions depend on the state of the law at any given moment.)

don't think I have many things in my collection where the author died more than 95 years ago

far as buddy there goes since the post originally appeared on boing boing this morning bet he ends up with a nice turntable (more likely a garage full of them)

Perhaps,but after reading the comments on his site,I wouldn't count on it.

1.He's looking to transfer straight from vinyl to the HD,no preamp.This could result in bad levels,or low volume as most turntables that the average person has need to be amped to quality sound & volume.I know my Marantz needs one for transfering to my HD,without it I would have to boost the volume levels in Soudforge 7 and in my findings boosting low volumed music via SF7 can result in digi noise.

This guy may recieve a garage filled with turntables,but I would bet that noone of them are quality.

If your going to remaster old vinyl you MUST consider the quality,foremost.

But that is only my opinion,some folks I guess aren't to concerned about perserving the music best the can.Too bad to,especially since there are way too many crap recordings going arounjd already of alot of musical gems from the early part of the 19th & 20th century.

One site that does consider quality is the "Steam powered Preservation Society" who bring back to life rare blues & bluegrass saved from 1/4 inch mylar reels and 78's.All for free & from donations purely in the spirit of giving people the best quality recordings.

You can't just throw a turntable together and plug into a computer and expect the recording to be acceptable.This is why I DO NOT spread around my vinyl to CDR recodings.I don't have the proper equipment to make it worth sharing,although some folks do.

yays, wouldn't mind transfering a few things over personally just for listenings sake... been quite a while (a decade) since I've spun the vinyl

I hear ya,make sure to take the records in for cleaning,makes a world of difference.Cost me about 50 or 60 dollars to do two milk crates worth (with a quality cleaning machine and someone who knows how to properly use it),of which maybe half of one was really worth transfering to CDR,instead I just sought them out by people who knew what they were doing.