Roll Call: THE MUSICAL BOX 11/20/04

TimmyB

Q107 PRESENTS

THE MUSICAL BOX

GENESIS THE LAMB

MASSEY HALL-178 VICTORIA

GST# 119 228 633

SAT NOV 20, 2004 8:00 PM

I've seen The Musical Box perform the Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway Tour" before and it's absolutely amazing. The show makes you feel like you got into Doc's Delorean with Marty and you went back in time to 1974 to see Genesis with Peter Gabriel still at the helm.

It is authorized by Genesis and Peter Gabriel. Including the 1,100 slides from the 1974 original tour.

What an amazing show! The last time I saw The Musical Box perform "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" was a couple of years ago at the Hamilton Convention Centre. Massey Hall is quite the upgrade in venue, also the band has improved with a drummer that not only drums left handed like Phil Collins, his vocals sound exactly like Collins and is even bald like Collins.

Also tonights show was the 30th anniversary of Genesis first live performance of "The Lamb" which happened in Chicago on November 20, 1974.

It was a better crowd than I expected as well. It looked like it was packed, which speaks volumes about the quality of this Tribute Band, that is actually authorized Genesis and Peter Gabriel to put on this show.

The Musical Box even encored with two songs, compared to the one I saw the last "Lamb" show. Last time they closed with "Watcher of the Skies." This show they still closed with the same song, but this time they also performed "Musical Box" before the closer.

A great night and I hope I get to see the Musical Box again as I don't expect I'll ever see Peter Gabriel to reform with his former Genesis bandmates to do this show.

that sounds wicked to me.

(although some folk consider this a disservice to the music industry).

hey TimmyB, have you seen DSO yet ? ;) ::

Why would anybody see the Musical Box as a disservice? The show last night celebrated to the day the opening of "The Lamb Lies Down On Broardway Tour." On November 20, 1974 I was five days away from being five months old. Obviously that the Musical Box is my only means of seeing this show and actually remembering it.

That the Musical Box go out and recreate the tour note for note (which is what progressive rock bands always do so please don't argue with that statement that it's against the spirit of rock and roll.) and also recreate the stage production down to every detail.

Also The Musical Box are authorized by the members of Genesis. They were given the 1,500 plus slides used in the three screen slide show in the original tour. So obviously The Musical Box are giving some of their earnings to Genesis.

Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford and Steve Hackett have all attended Musical Box concerts. And Hackett has even joined the Musical Box on stage!

And no I have not seen DSO live. Though if I had the opportunity I'm sure I would attend a DSO show.

i am a BIG fan of Dark Star Orchestra for many of the same reasons you mentioned above in regards to The Musical Box.

I missed over 20 years of live Grateful Dead shows, and to have DSO recreate the music as awesome as they do is such a treat for me.

They too have the ok by most of the Dead family.

Bobby, Billy, Donna-Jean, Vince, Tom Constanten and others have all sat in with DSO at their shows.

Mountain Girl, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Jerylin Lee Brandelius all LOVE dark star and come out to all the shows in the Bay area.

and yet i have read on this board that "cover bands do the music industry a disservice" ... I belive it was velvet i'm quoting

ah well, to each there own.

i am a BIG fan of Dark Star Orchestra for many of the same reasons you mentioned above in regards to The Musical Box.

I missed over 20 years of live Grateful Dead shows, and to have DSO recreate the music as awesome as they do is such a treat for me.

They too have the ok by most of the Dead family.

Bobby, Billy, Donna-Jean, Vince, Tom Constanten and others have all sat in with DSO at their shows.

Mountain Girl, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Jerylin Lee Brandelius all LOVE dark star and come out to all the shows in the Bay area.

and yet i have read on this board that "cover bands do the music industry a disservice" ... I belive it was velvet i'm quoting

ah well, to each there own.

Well Velvet's wrong.

I think Velvet may have been making a distinction between bar-bands vs bands that do covers and recreations for a living. There is a big difference.

I don't know how many times I witnessed a bar band and the performed a cover from a band that I enjoy. It makes me think maybe I should listen a little harder to this band or give them more of a chance as they love what I love. Especially if the cover they perform comes from an obscure artist or an obscure song from a bigger artist.

Of course, Velvet may have meant exactly what he said in the first place.

I don't get too offended by a band in say, Napannee, belting out covers of Helix or Red Rider. It's fun, but just don't take them too seriously and in turn, I hope that the band in question doesn't think they are going places in the rock world either.

Of course, Velvet may have meant exactly what he said in the first place.

I don't get too offended by a band in say, Napannee, belting out covers of Helix or Red Rider. It's fun, but just don't take them too seriously and in turn, I hope that the band in question doesn't think they are going places in the rock world either.

Joe Cocker and Rod Stewart went places and they for the most part perform covers.

They never performed Helix cover tunes in Napanee. Some bands just do it for the fun and can't or don't have any desire to write their own tunes or pursue a recording career.

Rod Stewart was never an exclusive covers performer. He fronted two significant bands that did originals along with blues and folk covers. He also wrote a lot of good songs on his own.

I know Rod The Mod wrote some of his own songs. And IMO some of them are great. For the most part though the majority of the material on his albums are not his own.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's no hard and fast rule to making it in popular music. I don't need to get into how many artists don't deserve the recognition they receive and how many don't get their due.

When it comes to The Musical Box, they deserve a lot of credit by recreating something by another group that doesn't exist anymore. Doing what they do with the original groups permission. And finally performing it so well you almost can't tell that it's not actually Genesis on stage.

I hope that the band in question doesn't think they are going places in the rock world either.

if you're talking about The Musical Box, i'd say that an almost sold-out show at Massey Hall means they are already there!

and like The Grateful Dead or Rod Stewart, members of DSO are involved in their own (original) side bands.

ie: The Mix

I hope that the band in question doesn't think they are going places in the rock world either.

if you're talking about The Musical Box, i'd say that an almost sold-out show at Massey Hall means they are already there!

and like The Grateful Dead or Rod Stewart, members of DSO are involved in their own (original) side bands.

ie: The Mix

I agree with what you said about the Musical Box. As I believe I mentioned before the Musical Box is not only authorized by Genesis, they've also had Steve Hackett of Genesis perform with them.

And nearly selling out Massey Hall says a lot as well.