Jambands.ca

Wintersleep/Sing That Yell That Spell - Kingston

skelter

This Wednesday, December 1 at Clark Hall Pub - Wintersleep/Sing That Yell That Spell with Tomate Potate's Nich Worby

Wintersleep - "Halifax's best new band continues to expand its fan base and repertoire with each show, and even though they played two hours before main attraction Ron Sexsmith, the dance floor was packed to capacity with appreciative fans." - exclaim!

"The band blows the pants off crowds time and time again. ... one of the most unique sounds to ever come out of the Maritimes... this band will take the country by storm."

Chart Magazine

"A Halifax super group if there ever was one."

The Coast, Halifax

Sing That Yell That Spell - "Stratford quartet Lungbutter used to describe their music as "post-hardcore improvisational noise." When three-quarters of the band recently reformed as Sing That Yell That Spell (named after a line in an e.e. cummings poem), guitarist/organist/saxist Colin Fisher dubbed the new project's music "punk jazz." Fisher, bassist Tim Nicholls and drummer Lennie Haggerty make music that is as convoluted as their moniker and fuelled by both testosterone and poetry. A few reference points come to mind, including Peter Brötzmann's improv guerrillas Last Exit, Mike Watt's Secondmen at their most aggressive or Tortoise in a really bad mood. The band stops and starts, and occasionally veers into quieter territory to set off their more explosive playing; a little more textural variety would help, too. "Improv Two" is a step in the right direction, but Fisher's relentless squeal on sax quickly grows tiresome. Nonetheless, this is exciting music played with conviction." - EYE

www.wintersleep.com

www.singthatyellthatspell.com

anybody from Lindsay or Peterborough want to go?

STYTS are mad! definitely one of the must sees on my list to everybody.

think heavy(loud and full of vigor)/jazz/experimental.

The drummer's by far one of the craziest i've ever seen and the guitar/sax player's into a lot of free music. they've got their act together though. super tight.

really nice guys from stratford.

www.singthatyellthatspell.com

I used to work with the bassist, went to high school with Colin the guitar / sax guy, and my band used to open for their old bands... Tim Nicholls' old band at the time was Soylent Green who became Lungbutter, and Colin's old band was Casual Slacks. Both awesome old Stratford bands, I still have all their tapes... Maybe I'll see if I can encode them or something.

Yeah, check these shows out.

FYI: There's a STYTS show in Stratford on Dec 27 or 28 with 2 other awesome bands, my good friends Frontier Index (Horseshoe Thursday night) and The Ludes. This holiday show will be awesome... Come to Stratford for this one!!

AD