Jambands.ca

teachers...

meggo

any games that you play in class that i could with my careers group? we're basically done everything, i have the vcr for friday and monday but tomorrow i don't really have anything planned... i was going to get scattergories (just b/c i love that game and it's a small class) but didn't have time to go look for it.

any suggestions? i'm currently trying to scour teacher websites.

I'm a big fan of Balderdash... we would play every friday... if You don't have the game handy... you can go to--http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-bal1.htm look under index of words, there are three pages of obscure words... I would split the class into groups of two or three, and give them a blank sheet of paper where they would write the definition... I would write the word on the board for them, and then we would go over the definitions, and you get a point for someone guessing your word, and a point for guessing correctly... it worked for us... also, if you want something really simple, there is the classic, bizz-buzz...

thanks del but i'm not sure if it would work for a whole hour with 15-year-olds? hmm... they are insistent on playing "sports jeopardy" which they make up, but 1) that's boring for me, and 2) not everyone in the class is interested in sports, otherwise i would let them do it. thanks tho, del!

This one's a great one for that "I just ran out of sh!t and there's 15 minutes left"

Write the word Basketball up on the board. Tell the students that there are 129 possible words you can make from only the letters in Basketball. Only those letters though, one s , two l's, two b's, one k etc. Current record holder, some kid with 89. By the way, 129 is a completely arbitruary number.