Jambands.ca

VELVET playin' live...

StoneMtn

I think it's time for Todd to make an angry phone call to the West Coast. It appears that there is an imposter band out there. I found this on the message board at www.upstreamentertainment.com ...

Who: Velvet

What: trance-house-soul-funk

Where: sugar victoria

When: dec.31.04

Sound: clear and loud ( but not tooo loud )

Ambience: pretty swank

Crowd/Scene/Vibe: a healthy mix of ages and scenes

Quote: are those screens movin for you or is it just me ?

Highlite: 20 min trance jam on pappa was a rollin stone

Support Act: worst dj of all time

Lights : a fantastic array of projections, liquid ,beams and giant disco balls

Complaint Dept: drunkards spilling drinks , see above dj

review : Velvet are a victoria collective of musicians and djs who play a now familliar mix of house , rock, trance , funk and soul .

These guys were lighting the dance floor on fire long before i ever heard of sts-9 .

The set up for this show was bass , keys , dj , accoustic guitar and electric guitar and sometimes vocals .

It is a wonder these guys have not made it much bigger as they can throw it down in a big way .

There sound is very much a mix of lotus , sts9 , db , with a healthy DOSE of james brown .

Kuba there enigmatic lead man lead the crowd into some very heavy pattened soul -trance .

They had the dance floor groovin and sweatin hard for there entire 2 hour 30 min set .

These guys have been gettin done in a big way for atleast 7 years now and i highly reccomend checking out one of there weekly victoria gigs , or at soundwave in tofino this summer .

they used to play weekly gigs in seatle , whistler , van and victoria so maybe the name rings a bell .

they would be a very worthy opener for an up coming upsteam event or a co headliner for discovery showcase night .