Jambands.ca

A MAN CALLED WARWICK~TURNING POINT PARTY

kc

Anyone interested in hearing some far out and funky music that you can not hear anywhere else may want to check out our TURNING POINT party at Pepper Jack's this SATURDAY .

Featured Selector will be A MAN CALLED WARWICK

Cover is $5.

A man called warwick

-Over 10 years in toronto as a d.j. and artist.

-former founding member of Movement(now in its seventh year), torontos premeire jazz funk and soul event. host to countless international guest djs and musicians.

-a brilliant artist whose paintings have been featured globaly in magazines such as straight no chaser.

-long time record collector/music lover, warwick has moved from dj to cultural anthropologist

as he is in contant search of undiscovered music from around the globe.

-Started TURNING POINT in 2001 to provide a venue for the special music he'd been accumulating.Warwick has coined the term tropical funk to describe what he plays.the records span the history and movement of the diaspora.

with styles of AFRICAN grooves from sengal, mali, nigeria, ghana, benin, cote d voire, Ethiopia, kenya, congo and more LATIN grooves from Colombia, peru, panama, equado, brazil, argentina, venuzala guyana and CARRIBEAN grooves from Cuba, martinique, antilles,st vincents, trinadad, tobago, jamacia and beyond

-with turning point now in its 3 year of events featuring local dj,s international music collectors such as miles cleret(Ghana sounds)gregoire deVillanova(diasporarecords.com) The huge soundsystem and insatiable dancers show no signs of letting up.

-A man called warwick and a small group of t.o. artists and dj's have also begun DUCKTAPE.ca, which is a website dedicated to music art and culture.

www.ducktape.ca

www.pepperjackcafe.com

A Man Called Warwick played a huge part in shaping my musical tastes.

It’s funny because I never knew anything about him, where he was from, what he was doing. I think it was about 1993 and a friend of mine gave me a tape compiled by A Man Called Warwick. He didn’t know the person he got the tape from and I could never figure out where it was from. I had never heard anything like it before. I spent the better part of ten years asking people if they had heard of him and then one day kc tells me he’s playing pjc. This is pretty cool because I lost the tape a few years ago and gave up on it. I imagine he made quite a few tapes in his time but I still have the cover for the cassette and I’m hoping if I show it to him he’ll remember the mix and maybe he’ll still have it. Really looking forward to this Saturday.

djparty.gif