Jambands.ca

Tony Allen

CyberHippie

I recently heard some vinyl with Tony Allen and the Africa 70. It was pretty sick, as could be expected. Although I'm a little disapointed that most of this stuff is only available on vinyl.

This cd interesting though: HomeCooking [Narada]

I can't quite imagine what afro-beat/london hip-hop fusion would sound like, but it can't be bad!

Anyone heard it?

R.142%20PETER%20ALLEN%2074.jpg

[color:"purple"]Man, Tony Allen is like, my favourite, dude!

"When my baby, when my baby smiles at me I go to Rio, de Janiero, when my baby, when my baby smiles at me the smile lightens up my life and I am free at last, what a blast!"

Wait, that's Peter Allen.

Tell me more about this Tony Allen though, I seem to recall that he is a drummer?

Yeah he was the drummer and unofficial composer for Fela Kuti and the African 70. I get the impression that he is to afro-beat, what Aston "Family Man" Barrett is to reggae. Marley and Kuti and the figure heads, but family man and allen are the brains behind the phat grooves. I could be way off here, but that's my initial uneducated impression.

The tony allen live cd has some snippets on amazon and it sounds very tastey.

CyberHippie, have you checked out Ducktape.ca yet? If you dig Tony Allen, you'll dig some of the mixes the dj's have put up on that site. Miles Cleret is from Bristol, UK and has put together some wicked comps called Ghana Sounds, I was just given the cd a couple days ago and it is fanfriggintastic. He has a mix on the site AND will be the guest dj at a party called Turning Point in Toronto, March 12th, at the Gladstone hotel.

Sure no live band, but amzing unheard-of music nonetheless.